Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
ok..ok...REW newbie here...haven't even downloaded the app yet but trying to get my thoughts together first. Trying to minimize intimidation:hide:....and I know you are all here to help me.

Currently I do not :no:eek:wn a BFD. I do, however, have a Radio Shack SPL Meter (analog):yes:

My question is...does it first make sense to download REW, buy an external soundcard, buy the appropriate wires/connections, and run REW without a BFD so I can see what my system currently looks like on paper? :R I'm sure that my sub is not flat in my room.

I should add that I have just recently integrated 2 new pieces into my HT.

#1 SVS PB13 Sub :hail:
#2 Outlaw Audio ICBM (for Bass Mgmt. duty as I let my Pioneer Blu Ray player decode..so I am analog throughout)

I've performed zero measurements at this point and assume REW is really the best way to go here ? Yes?

Finally...what are folks using with laptops running VISTA..in terms of external soundcards?:huh:
Looking to spend as little as possible on an external soundcard that will get the job done the right way.

·
Registered
7,514 Posts
My question is...does it first make sense to download REW, buy an external soundcard, buy the appropriate wires/connections, and run REW without a BFD so I can see what my system currently looks like on paper?
Yep, it's minimal cost, and you may find your room is just fine, and you require no equalization.

what are folks using with laptops running VISTA..in terms of external soundcards?
Personally, I'm using a Turtle Beach Audio Advantage SRM.

brucek

·
Premium Member
89 Posts
ok..ok...REW newbie here...haven't even downloaded the app yet but trying to get my thoughts together first. Trying to minimize intimidation:hide:....and I know you are all here to help me.

Currently I do not :no:eek:wn a BFD. I do, however, have a Radio Shack SPL Meter (analog):yes:

My question is...does it first make sense to download REW, buy an external soundcard, buy the appropriate wires/connections, and run REW without a BFD so I can see what my system currently looks like on paper? :R I'm sure that my sub is not flat in my room.

I should add that I have just recently integrated 2 new pieces into my HT.

#1 SVS PB13 Sub :hail:
#2 Outlaw Audio ICBM (for Bass Mgmt. duty as I let my Pioneer Blu Ray player decode..so I am analog throughout)

I've performed zero measurements at this point and assume REW is really the best way to go here ? Yes?

Finally...what are folks using with laptops running VISTA..in terms of external soundcards?:huh:
Looking to spend as little as possible on an external soundcard that will get the job done the right way.
IMO, absolutely! I've been using REW just at a month, but doing freq sweeps with an SPL meter for about 9 years, and the change is :yay:. The only real cost is a sound card, and that's less than the SPL meter for an acceptable one - unless you choose to donate to the Shack in thanks (need to get around to that myself very soon).

Even with out the PEQ, you'll be able to see how your system performs (muuucchh easier and faster to look at that graph than to plot things yourself), plus there's a lot more information extracted from the measurement. You can also move around your sub, as position can mean a lot to bass performance. Finally, you can post the plots here, and then when you're told repeatedly to get an equalizer, you can tell your significant other that you didn't have a choice! :innocent:

enjoy,

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
IMO, absolutely! I've been using REW just at a month, but doing freq sweeps with an SPL meter for about 9 years, and the change is :yay:. The only real cost is a sound card, and that's less than the SPL meter for an acceptable one - unless you choose to donate to the Shack in thanks (need to get around to that myself very soon).

Even with out the PEQ, you'll be able to see how your system performs (muuucchh easier and faster to look at that graph than to plot things yourself), plus there's a lot more information extracted from the measurement. You can also move around your sub, as position can mean a lot to bass performance. Finally, you can post the plots here, and then when you're told repeatedly to get an equalizer, you can tell your significant other that you didn't have a choice! :innocent:

enjoy,
Thanks for the feedback Eric. Sounds like I am on the right track here. Just downloaded REW to our laptop...one less thing to do.

Trying to decide on external soundcard now for Vista...and then a few more cables and adaptors and I should be in business.

Dave

·
Registered
449 Posts
man I am still a step behind! I don't even know if I need one or if mine will work!

I got a lot to read. Do you know where to find out if your internal card will work?

I have a 1 year old HP with decent or better specs.

·
Registered
7,514 Posts
Do you know where to find out if your internal card will work?
If it's in a laptop, likely not, since most laptops don't enjoy a line-in port. The mic-in port is not suitable.

Generally, if it has a line-in and line-out, it's OK.

brucek

·
Registered
44 Posts
Another newbie question here - I have a dell workstation 690 that has a Sigma tel audio sound card, maybe built-in on the motherboard?? Is this card good enough? I connected everything per online guide today, did the mic calibration but when I did the final measurement, I don't hear or get any sweep being generated. Why?

·
Registered
7,514 Posts
OK, but once the new soundcard calibration file is created, then store it in REW and before you remove the loopback cable, do a full range measurement of the loopback cable (be sure the meter cal file is cleared).

The result of the measurement should be a perfectly flat line if the soundcard cal file is valid. This is because the cable has a perfect response, and the poor response of the soundcard is nullified by the calibration file you created.

brucek

1 - 20 of 31 Posts