Home Theater Forum and Systems banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm trying out REW, and am interested in hearing if you guys have insight into what I'm seeing with my waterfall graph.

I've used other RTA software, but this is my first attempt with REW so apologies up front if I'm making silly mistakes.

Here is the waterfall for my right channel:
Red Slope Plot Rectangle Pattern

I've sifted through the forums and searched around for tips on how to interpret waterfall charts, and am honestly a little confused.

What it looks like to me is that the decay is pretty even across the frequency range, but is very gradual with lots of volume even after 300ms.

The bare frequency response graph looks like this:
Text Red Line Plot Font

Should I be concerned about the decay time, or are there other issues that jump out at you guys?

·
Banned
4,838 Posts
First of all, welcome to Home Theater Shack.

Looks pretty nice. With one-third octave smoothing, your response is about plus/minus 3 dB between 100 Hz and 10 kHz, very respectable.

The RT 60 (decay time) does seem a bit high. Values around .2 to .3 are good goals to shoot for, this room is closer to .6 to .8 or so, very live.

Have you done any equalization yet? The peaks at 28, 58, 88, and 125 Hz could be tamed a little with some EQ, if they bother you.

Other than that...:T

How does it sound?

·
Super Moderator
9,309 Posts

I've sifted through the forums and searched around for tips on how to interpret waterfall charts, and am honestly a little confused.
For starters, waterfalls are only meaningful up to about 400 Hz or so. IOW, they’re primarily for the lower frequencies,

And as John mentioned, scaling the graph properly would be helpful, except for a waterfall you want the lower limit close to the room’s noise floor. In most rooms that’s ~30-35 dB, not 45 dB.

You might find some useful general info on waterfalls at this post.

Should I be concerned about the decay time, or are there other issues that jump out at you guys?
Waterfalls are mainly useful for comparing “before and after” to see the effectiveness of low frequency room treatments.

Regards,
Wayne

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.