2. Rear channel with filters.
3. Rear channel compared to center.

:nerd:

Attachments

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter #182
One last confusing graph. Comparing mains, center, and rear channel.

:dumbcrazy:

Attachments

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter #184
REW has a function that will off-set the traces for easier comparison...

That rear w/ filters is the best-looking one you've done yet. :T

Regards,
Wayne
Thanks Wayne! :hail::hail::hail:

I feel like a young (pardon the silly comparison) Jedi that has just passed basic training. :bigsmile:

I wanted to overlay them to help confirm that all three are following the same trends. I guess I don't really need to worry about the varying dips and peaks. They seem pretty narrow and probably would not hear any SQ improvement by addressing them. Correct?

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter #186
The graphs for both mains and center show an overall sag in response between about 2 kHz and 10 kHz. It would probably make a noticible improvement in SQ to shore that area up a bit with a broad filter.
Went back and remeasured these and made a few minor tweaks. I was able to still hear a slight "boomyness" to male voices while watching Iron Man. I mostly noticed it with Downey's voice once in a while. Any suggestions? Or is it just from having the center located in a cabinet?

Blue - center channel
Purple - main left and right

Attachments

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
Could it also be a lobbing effect? This is usually a pretty common problem with alot of center channels. If it is a resonance to do with speech, it should be fairly easy to detect with some simple pink noise. Whether or not is the cabinet or the speaker box itself would be more difficult, and would require removing it from the cabinet to measure I would think.

·
Super Moderator
9,186 Posts

It could be just that movie, so I wouldn't worry about it unless you hear it with most program material. It's not unusual to find programs with poorly equalized male voices. If you come across one, just adjust the Yamaha to take care of it; I believe it will return to the stored memory setting the next time you power up.

Regards,
Wayne

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter #189
Well, just wanted to put a conclusion to my chapter of REW. This is my final adjustments to my current subs. At least until I get permission for a fourth! :bigsmile: :hide:

I tried my main sub in its "max output" mode and was able to get the first graph as a response. I really felt like I was missing out on something! :sad2:

After working with tech rep for my main sub, I went back to its "max extension" mode and relocated it to the front corner. I was able to get enormous amount of room gain in this location (see second graph). The main problem with this scenario was that my current eq could only go as low as 20Hz.

With Wayne's help and some research, I was able to find an inexpensive eq that would go down to 10Hz. My two main options were a Rane PE17 or a Symterix 551E. I was able to find a brand new Symetrix 551E for $125 shipped. It would be nice to be able to keep my response down to 14Hz., but I will take the +/-2dB smooth response down to 15Hz. If you were to drop my target line 2dB, it does intersect at 14.5dB. :bigsmile: I am happy overall since the main sub is only rate down to 16Hz.

Time to go listen!

Attachments

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter #191
An EQ solely dedicated to the octave between 10-20 Hz - now there's a man who takes his subwoofer equalizing seriously! I think you've taken subwoofer equalization to new highs, weverb. Or maybe I should say new lows... :D

Regards,
Wayne
Thanks Wayne.... I only need four filters total. I could probably use just the Symetrix 551E, but I like the ease of use of the YDP. The YDP is much quicker and easier to make adjustments. I just wish it went lower. :bigsmile:

181 - 191 of 191 Posts