Graph 2 - MBM XO In (0,180) Mains On
Graph 3 - MBM XO In (0,0) Mains On
Graph 4 - MBM XO In (180,0) Mains On

Attachments

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
So brucek which do you think looks the best so far? I am thinking Graph #2 (MBM XO Out (0,180) Mains On) in the first group of 4 graphs. I am going to try to reposition the MBM to see if it effects the 80Hz dip.

·
Registered
7,514 Posts
I'd say graph 1 looks the best.

It's a lot easier to do comparisons by using the REW Measured Tab..........

brucek

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Here is a new graph with rotating the MBM 90 degrees (port facing lp) and switching the phase to 0. Mains are on.

Attachments

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Comparison of the two different settings.

Attachments

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Rotated MBM so port facing a corner away from LP.

Attachments

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Well, after more playing around. I switched...

1. Main sub to max extension
2. MBM is rotated 90 degrees w/port facing lp
3. Main sub phase is 0, and MBM 180
4. Turned up main sub from 4.5 to 5
5. Mains are on
6. Receiver pink noise leveled mains at 75dB and subs at 78.5dB

:hush:

:huh:

Attachments

·
Registered
41 Posts
Hey weverb,

For me, I would want more in that 20-30Hz region. I love movies and do very little music except for BR & HD-DVD concerts. I am trying to set up several presets on the BFD to compensate for concerts vs action movies.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Hey Larry,

I was thinking of adjusting the target up to 78dB and then start looking at applying filters. I do not have a BFD at the moment, but was just playing like I had the ability. Below is a graph of what I was thinking of doing. I know I should not be using 12 filters, I am just playing right now. Let me know your thoughts. The other option I was thinking of trying today was adjusting the main sub up some to increase the 20-30Hz range. Anyone's opinion?

:huh:

Attachments

·
Registered
41 Posts
Hey weverb,

I would try and lift the 20 - 30Hz region with placement and sub settings and not with an EQ boost. You had a graph before that looked really good in this region. I have also gone a bit over the top with the 12 filters and I am heeding the advice here to limit the amount of filters.:T

Larry

·
Registered
41 Posts
Ok, graph #1 on Post #20 looks like a winner to me. You could set a target curve at 78dB and have very few filters required to tame your peaks.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
The only thing I did not like about that set-up was that it just died after 20Hz. :yawn:

What do you think about turning up the main sub another .5 on the volume knob? I am still within the 5dB hot range overall for the subs. I am only running 78.5dB for subs versus 75dB for highs (using receiver's pink noise).

Oh yea! The other reason I raised the 20-30Hz section with filters was that I could not lower the ~16Hz section with a filter if it gets boosted too much.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I would turn it up and ya, the BFD can't touch 16Hz...

I like the sound of my room when I have the subs running hot. This is how I progressed: 1 sub: set at 82dB, 2 subs: each set at 78dB and they produced 82dB and 4 subs: each set at 75dB and they produce 81dB.

I am going to try some boost on my recent graph and see what happens.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
What would be better....

1. Creating a filter with a +6 gain to boost the 20-30Hz range and have it flat to 16Hz, or
2. Turn up the sub volume and have another spike at 16Hz?

I thought we wanted as flat a bass line as possible. :gah:

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Well I tried turning up the main sub another .5. Now I get 75dB for the mains and 79dB for the subs when playing the pink noise from the receiver. I also set the target at 78dB.

Attachments

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
A lot of the bass you're hearing now will be coming from that 50Hz peak............
Yup. It is time to tame that beast. How does the rest of the graph look? What are your suggestions for filters?

·
Registered
41 Posts
What would be better....

1. Creating a filter with a +6 gain to boost the 20-30Hz range and have it flat to 16Hz, or
2. Turn up the sub volume and have another spike at 16Hz?

I thought we wanted as flat a bass line as possible. :gah:
This is fun, right!:bigsmile:

Your constant is the peak at 50Hz. What does it sound like in your room without the 50Hz peak? I think you are ready to find out with the purchase of a BFD or the Anti-Mode.:whistling:

I am chasing the smoothest sound possible in my room and to my ears and the REW shows me graphically what that looks like. I like the Hard Knee House Curve for movies in Max Ext Mode on the subs and I like the standard house curve for concert movies in Max Output on the subs, YMMV.

The last time I looked, zzsounds.com had the BFD for 1 Ben Franklin.:bigsmile:

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
Without any smoothing, it said there was a peak at 49.1 and 71 Hz. It created a filter at 49.1 Hz with a -14 gain and one at 71Hz with -9 gain.

Attachments

21 - 40 of 191 Posts