Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

61 - 80 of 191 Posts

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter #62
No. The deal for the Behringer fell through, so I am lurking for a used one still. I have a couple of feelers/inquires out there though.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter #64
Was just playing around this morning.

Red - main sub and MBM
Green - main sub only (xo active 40-45Hz)
Gold - MBM only (xo bypassed)

Look like my receiver is still sending a lfe signal even after it's setting of 80Hz and the main sub does not fall off very quickly! :huh:

Attachments

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter #65
Looks like I can remove the Noob now on the title. Here is my new graph.

Red - BFD off
Green - BFD on

I am only using three filters. :jiggy:

Attachments

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter #67
Thanks Wayne,

I appreciate your feedback and help. :hail: I figured I would start to listen to material before making any more changes. The hard knee curve will more than likely make its way into my set-up.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter #68
Well, after a lot of help from Wayne and bruceK, I have decided to move on to my mains. First things first, I only have a RS meter for now. I will decide to get a better mic depending how this process goes. Here are graphs of my sound card and actual measured sound card. It looks like there is going to be problems trying to measure anything over 2kHz with this sound card. Am I looking at this correct, or is all that variation ok?

Attachments

·
Registered
7,514 Posts
Am I looking at this correct, or is all that variation ok?
All that variation is less than a dB.

To test that the soundcard file works and that your card is good, simply connect a cable from line-out to line-in and take a measurement with the newly created soundcard cal file loaded in REW. It will return a flat line............

brucek

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter #70
All that variation is less than a dB.

To test that the soundcard file works and that your card is good, simply connect a cable from line-out to line-in and take a measurement with the newly created soundcard cal file loaded in REW. It will return a flat line............

brucek
That's what I did to get the bottom graph. Can you explain how to test the highs? When I went to try today, the measurements were steadily declining after 200Hz. It looked like the highs were almost not turned on. I tried setting the level to 81dB using the REW sub cal signal to get a 75dB reading from the highs. These are the readings I get when I use the receiver's pink noise test. Then I tried setting the level using the REW speaker cal signal. Not once did the mains maintain the level at which the calibration was set to. Every time, after 200Hz, they just started taking a nose dive all the way out to 20kHz. I did not save the graphs because I thought there was no point since something was incorrect.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter #71
Does having the loopback always connected effect the testing of the highs?

·
Registered
7,514 Posts
That's what I did to get the bottom graph.
No, that's a test of the loopback cable without the soundcard cal file loaded.
Are you sure you created the soundcard file on the right channel with the cable on the right channel and then saved that file and did the test measurement on the right channel. The left channel is never used, and you do not check the box that says "Use left channel as calibration reference"..

Does having the loopback always connected effect the testing of the highs?
Huh???

brucek

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter #73
I was just wondering about the loopback connection. It just mentions it is optional. Did not know if it needs to be connected all the time.

Here is a snap shot of the settings.

Attachments

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter #74
No, that's a test of the loopback cable without the soundcard cal file loaded.
Are you sure you created the soundcard file on the right channel with the cable on the right channel and then saved that file and did the test measurement on the right channel. The left channel is never used, and you do not check the box that says "Use left channel as calibration reference"..
What I don't understand is everything works fine for the sub. The highs just seem to drop off almost 25dB compared to the <200Hz frequencies.

·
Registered
7,514 Posts
What I don't understand is everything works fine for the sub. The highs just seem to drop off almost 25dB compared to the <200Hz frequencies
Can you tell me what you are trying to measure and what frequency range you're talking about.

Hopefully your receiver is in stereo only mode and all soundfields are shut off.

Your settings page looks fine (other than I would select the line-in and line-out device in the pulldown rather than the Default you're using).

brucek

·
Super Moderator
9,243 Posts

Can you explain how to test the highs? When I went to try today, the measurements were steadily declining after 200Hz.
Under the "Target Settings" button on the left side of the REW screen, change the "Speaker type" from SUBWOOFER to FULL RANGE. Then go to the "Graph Limits" icon at the top right of the screen and change the Right axis limit from 200 to 20,000. You should be good to go then.

Keep in mind that the Radio Shack meter is only going to be good out to 5 kHz or so...

Regards,
Wayne

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter #77
Here is what I am getting when I try to measure to 20kHz....

Attachments

·
Registered
7,514 Posts
Turn off your sub and measure one main speaker by itself from 15Hz-20000Hz. Be sure to use the correct Main speaker pink noise to Check/Set levels and use a 75dB target.

Post the graph..........

brucek

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter #79
...measure one main speaker by itself from 15Hz-20000Hz. Be sure to use the correct Main speaker pink noise to Check/Set levels and use a 75dB target.
That should help. It is currently going through both main speakers.

·
Registered
7,514 Posts
That should help.
Well, I don't know about that. I'm just trying to establish what sort of problem you have. It looks like an equalizer setting is turned on somewhere (in the soundcard, in the receiver). Did you go through all the soundcard settings and be sure all soundfields and mixers and EQ and boost etc are shut off?

61 - 80 of 191 Posts