486 Posts
Discussion Starter #141
Measurement of center only. :nerd:

Attachments

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter #143
Did you create a calibration file for the mixer (same process as creating one for the sound card)? And I assume you’re using our ECM calibration file?

The reason I ask, your response above 10 kHz looks pretty um, wild...

Regards,
Wayne
No I did not. Did not know it would change.

Yes, I downloaded the ECM cal file and loaded it. I also turned c weighting off.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter #144
Did you create a calibration file for the mixer (same process as creating one for the sound card)?
Thinking about it a little more, how do you do this? Do I remove the ECM8000 and run the signal through there with a cable?

·
Super Moderator
9,242 Posts
Thinking about it a little more, how do you do this? Do I remove the ECM8000 and run the signal through there with a cable?
Yup. And an output back to the soundcard. At least I think that's how it's done, I've never done it myself. brucek will hopefully correct me if I'm wrong about that.

Regards,
Wayne

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter #147
Yup. And an output back to the soundcard. At least I think that's how it's done, I've never done it myself. brucek will hopefully correct me if I'm wrong about that.

Regards,
Wayne
So it is line out from the sound card to an input where the mic should be. Then out of the 802 to the input of the sound card. Do I continue to keep the optional loop back connection on the sound card also? Does the phantom power need to be on or off during this?

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter #148

·
Registered
7,514 Posts
Do I remove the ECM8000 and run the signal through there with a cable?
No, you use the line-in.......

Do I continue to keep the optional loop back connection on the sound card also?
Continue? You shouldn't have it there at any time. You're using the soundcard cal file method - not the "Use Left Channel as Calibration Reference" method.

Does the phantom power need to be on or off during this?
Doesn't matter, you're not using the mic input. This is all line level.

brucek

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter #150
Ok does this look right?

Attachments

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter #152
Ok then here we go..........

New corrected highs and lows. I adjusted my xo to 100Hz.

Attachments

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter #153
New corrected center......:nerd:

Attachments

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter #154
Played around with a couple of filters for the highs. Just trying things out so far. :dumbcrazy:

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
9,242 Posts

Looks pretty good. Looks like you have a good command of what needs to be done, in that your filters are only affecting the problem areas and nothing above or below. :T

Looks like you have a pretty stiff boost in that 2500 area, though. I’d like to see you keep any adjustments, especially boosts, under 6 dB if possible. Also, I’m not sure the 325 Hz problem is wide enough to worry about.

Go ahead and save those filters to memory, just to have them for the sake of comparison, and try this in a new memory:

Move the Target Curve to 73 dB. (1) Adjust the 2500 filter as before (only hopefully with less gain now). (2) See if another filter can reduce the 1200 Hz peak. (3) To tame the top end, try a filter that’s something like 1.5 to 2-octaves wide at 20 kHz (use the Q to octaves conversion table I sent you). Adjust the gain to get response roughly down to the 73 dB line, and the bandwidth so that it doesn’t suck down anything below 7 kHz. (4) See if you can eliminate that obnoxious 50 Hz peak, either with a PEQ filter or the high pass filter. Forget the 6 dB rule for that one, it’s low enough that you could safely use a significant cut.

After you dial in your settings, bypass all filters and play some pink noise. Then switch each filter in and out, one at a time (i.e., check each filter with all others switched off). The goal here is to get an audible improvement in sound quality. So any filter that’s doing us any good, you should hear a noticeable change on timbre (I’m not sure about the viablity of the #2 filter, for instance). If you perceive that a filter is doing nothing audible, or barely anything audible, you might want to consider eliminating it.

With that in mind, check your original ~325 Hz filter to see if it’s giving any audible change in timbre.

When you’re done, play a familiar source and listen with and without EQ, to make the final determination whether or not you’ve achieved an improvement.

Regards,
Wayne

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter #156
Thanks Wayne.

The filter at 2.6kHz is only boosted 6 db. I figured you would not like anything more than that. Plus, from the response, it looks to be right on.

You have given me a lot of info to soak in. I will be back at it tomorrow. More than likely with more questions and graphs.

Thanks again.

:hail::hail::hail:

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter #157 (Edited)
How's something like this:

1. PK 2.6kHz +6.0 Gain Q 3.0
2. PK 17.5kHz -6.0 Gain Q .5
3. PK 1.2kHz -4.0 Gain Q 3.5
4. HP 80Hz

:nerd: