Home Theater Forum and Systems banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:wave:

Is there a way to adjust the octave band frequency limits that are used by REW for calculating and reporting sounds levels (measured with the RTA in the REW software)?

I am a new user of REW software and am impressed with the many details included. However, I may have missed something because I recently downloaded octave band measurements to find that the frequency limits are not the same as (or relatively close to) the industry standard octave band limits.

For example: standard 500 Hz octave band limits are 355 Hz and 710 Hz. However, the data REW generated indicates frequency limits of ~441 Hz to ~901 Hz. A graph is included to illustrate the 'off center' octave bands produced by REW.

All octave bands reported include this unconventional 'frequency shift'. Therefore, this data is not comparable to industry standard octave band levels.

Standard frequency limits can be found on various websites.

Has anyone else encountered this issue using REW??? Please share your wisdom if possible. Thanks!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
6,711 Posts
Sorry about that, the RTA octave bands use a 10Hz start instead of 15.625Hz - only makes a minor difference at 1/3 octave or higher, but gives wrong centres for 1/2 and 1 octave. Unfortunately that is not something you can adjust, but I'll fix it for the next release.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply and I'll look forward to the next release!

Until then, I agree that using smaller octave bands will limit the error regarding the comparison to standard frequency limits. This approach requires calculation to combine to full octave band levels, which can be easily done with an extra processing step using a spreadsheet.

Thanks again :T

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.