Home Theater Forum and Systems banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I'm trying to get REQ 4.11 up and running on Gentoo Linux (PPC, PowerPC platform) with the IBM (not SUN) java but it gets stuck. My computer is an an Apple Powermac. I have mac os x and linux (Gentoo) on this computer. Mac OS X has Panther 10.3.9 so it's not got the correct JRE. On PPC platform there is no SUN java JRE available.

When I do:

java -jar -verbose RoomEQ_Wizard_obf.jar

the REW GUI gets stuck on "Setting Preferences".

My window manager is KDE although I've have similar problems with others (xfcem blackbox) and get the same problem.

[email protected]:~> java -version
java version "1.6.0"
Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build pxp3260-20071123_01)
IBM J9 VM (build 2.4, J2RE 1.6.0 IBM J9 2.4 Linux ppc-32 jvmxp3260-20071121_15015 (JIT enabled)

Btw. REW V3.29 starts ok and I can click on button ok although it doesn't detect my Creative USB mp3+ soundcard.

I have a screenshot:

(sorry it's large !)

and I have the history of the loaded java classes in a text file but it is large (around 167K) so I can't make an attachment and I'm not allowed, since new and less than 10 posts, to give a link to it. Any way round this? I just though it could be of interest.

I would like to try the REW V4.00 but the link is broken when trying to download. Any way of getting this version?

Must add that I've also (after searching the forums) tried:

java -Dswing.systemlaf=javax.swing.plaf.metal.MetalLookAndFeel -jar RoomEQ_Wizard_obf.jar

but same result as above :-(

Okay, any help greatly appreciated ?

jaspal

·
Premium Member
6,711 Posts
Does REW get as far as writing anything into its log files? They should be in your home directory in a subdirectory called REW. Just before putting up the "Setting preferences" message REW kicks off a timer task that populates the list of audio devices, maybe that came unstuck? You can get V4.00 here: V4.00

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Does REW get as far as writing anything into its log files? They should be in your home directory in a subdirectory called REW. Just before putting up the "Setting preferences" message REW kicks off a timer task that populates the list of audio devices, maybe that came unstuck?
Thanks for the version 4.00. However, it gets stuck at the same place as version 4.11.

The log file in REW dir says:
"Aug 3, 2008 12:35:51 AM roomeqwizard.RoomEQ_Wizard main
INFO: Room EQ Wizard started"

I wonder where REW gets the sound card information from? Is is from /proc?

Btw, I noticed in V3.29 that I see no audio devices.

Via /proc/asound and alsamixer I can see I have 2 sound cards; the default powermac sound card and the Create Sound Blaster mp3 card.

Let me know what information you need.

Thanks.
Jaspal

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
REW uses Java's built-in classes to access audio devices, the JRE is responsible for providing the interface to the hardware. You might try installing info on Tritonus here:

Hi John

I presume by your answer then you suspect the problem with the IBM jre not interfacing to get the audio information and that's why you suggested Tritonus?

I read a little around Tritonus and downloaded the source files since there's no version for linux ppc version. I played around with it for around 1 hour and got no where. It's seem alot of work.

I'll see if I can borrow/use my work laptop (Windows XP) and failing that I may even update my mac os x panther to leopard.

Thanks so far for your help!

jaspal

·
Premium Member
6,711 Posts
Please note that there is a separate bug that seems to afflict the PPC under Mac OSX with audio data ending up byte-swapped (despite the Java classes explicitly defining the endian-ness of the requested data) so a Leopard update may not resolve things.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.