Home Theater Forum and Systems banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Super Moderator
9,316 Posts

Don’t know anything about Mac so I can’t speak to those issues, but...

I use a Mbox-2 for the output device, and I can play a clean, audible tone through it, but for input I want to use my Zoom H4n Handy Recorder (Mic Audio device), which can operate via usb
...it looks to me like you have some redundancy here. The Zoom is a USB audio interface in itself, so you don’t need both it and the M-box. HOWEVER, since the Zoom has a headphone/line output, it could function as your mic feeding a signal to the M-box.

But either way, using the Zoom as your mic presents problems. Unless you have a calibration file for it, your measurements won’t be accurate.

Regards,
Wayne

·
Super Moderator
9,316 Posts

I understand your connection scheme. It just doesn’t make any sense. From what I can see, the Zoom is a USB audio interface w/ on-board mics. The M-box is also a USB audio interface. What’s the M-box doing for you that the Zoom isn’t? The Zoom should be able to do everything (unless you can’t USB it directly into the computer because it doesn’t “play well” with Macs).

Either way, the problem is that unless you have a calibration file for the Zoom’s mic, your measurements will not be accurate.

Regards,
Wayne

·
Super Moderator
9,316 Posts
Calibration is needed for both the sound card and the measurement mic. Have you read Sec. 3 of the REW Help Files? Or the REW Cabling and Connection Basics info?

In the latter thread you’ll find this picture:

This shows a USB audio interface with a mic plugged into it.

The Zoom is an interface with a built-in mic, so it can be used instead of the M-box + mic (setting aside the Zoom's mic calibration issue for the moment). The Zoom has a headphone/line out that you can send to your studio monitors for the purposes of taking your measurements.

But it won’t work using the M-audio USB’d to the computer for the output, and the Zoom USB’d to the computer as the input (unless John thinks otherwise; he knows more about this than I do).

We can go 'round and 'round about your hardward connection options, but in the end it gets down to this: You need a mic calibration file in order to have accurate measurements. If you don’t have one for the Zoom, then you need to get a mic that does, or have the Zoom calibrated by a professional lab (assuming it even can be calibrated as part of an all-in-one package like this).

Regards,
Wayne

1 - 3 of 3 Posts