Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
649 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an Onkyo 5507 and running REW (using a loopback) with an ECM8000, mic amp and a SoundBlaster Live 24 bit USB soundcard. When I run a measurement with the Onkyo in direct mode, I get:

Delay 8.81±0.01 ms (3.023 m, 9.92 ft) relative to Loopback

but when I run it in stereo mode, I get:

Delay 118.25±0.01 ms (40.560 m, 133.07 ft) relative to Loopback

I thought stereo mode was pretty straight forward (no signal processing) so I was quite surprised to see the long delay. Does anyone know what is going on in the Onkyo? I went over all the menu options about a dozen times and tried quite a variety of settings with the same results.

Thanks

·
Registered
4,015 Posts
I'm not 100% sure of those numbers, but your hunch is actually the opposite. "Direct" mode bypasses the tone controls and Processing. Stereo should operate with all that stuff on, so the increase could be due to extra processing times. That's all I got.

·
Premium Member
649 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm not 100% sure of those numbers, but your hunch is actually the opposite. "Direct" mode bypasses the tone controls and Processing. Stereo should operate with all that stuff on, so the increase could be due to extra processing times. That's all I got.
My apology for not being clear in my post. I understand that 'direct' mode by-passes most if not all processing. My error was in assuming that 'stereo' mode behaved the same way. Your assessment of 'stereo' mode is correct and I have found some references to the delay (at least in the Onkyo - not sure how other pre-pro/receivers handle it) elsewhere on the web. I definitely learned something new.

Thank you for taking the time to respond to my post.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts