Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

21 - 40 of 119 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
I want to buy a new Preamp for ECM8000 to use with REW.

Which one is better between Tascam US-122 MKII and M-Audio MobilePre USB or any other recommend?

Thanks

·
Registered
57 Posts
I would also like too know this if anyone have some idea. TASCAM vs. M Audio vs. E-MU external soundcards? Or what about just a high quality pc soundcard?

·
Premium Member
2,116 Posts
I want to buy a new Preamp for ECM8000 to use with REW.

Which one is better between Tascam US-122 MKII and M-Audio MobilePre USB or any other recommend?

Thanks
I have them both, I prefer the M-Audio. I like the controls better and it's a little more portable. The TASCAM is fine but just a little awkward.

The reason to use them over a sound card is that they both provide phantom power -- which a sound card cannot.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Yeah the PCI versions won't have a preamp or phantom power to power ur sdc....unless there's a breakout box like the EMU 1616m but ur looking at $300+ range

EMU is known for having better AD/DA converters than its competitors within similar price ranges...so maybe the 0404usb or 0202usb might work for u too.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I have them both, I prefer the M-Audio. I like the controls better and it's a little more portable. The TASCAM is fine but just a little awkward.

The reason to use them over a sound card is that they both provide phantom power -- which a sound card cannot.
Cool. :TT So the insides of the units don't differ much quality wise? What im trying too find out is if some have much better frequency responds than others.

But maybe this is a hard thing too answer since very few people actually open up the boxes and do real comparisons.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Cool. :TT So the insides of the units don't differ much quality wise? What im trying too find out is if some have much better frequency responds than others.

But maybe this is a hard thing too answer since very few people actually open up the boxes and do real comparisons.
U wouldn't have to open them up to see their frequency responses lol. They may have charts online though if u look.

The funny thing is, if u accidentally choose the one with the worse freq resp, it almost doesn't matter as, when u calibrate ur system, REW will compensate for whatever ur interface is lacking in "flatness".

I think u would be fine with either for doing measurements as they both have the necessary specs...just get the one that "looks cooler" maybe LOL.

·
Registered
57 Posts
U wouldn't have to open them up to see their frequency responses lol. They may have charts online though if u look.

The funny thing is, if u accidentally choose the one with the worse freq resp, it almost doesn't matter as, when u calibrate ur system, REW will compensate for whatever ur interface is lacking in "flatness".

I think u would be fine with either for doing measurements as they both have the necessary specs...just get the one that "looks cooler" maybe LOL.
Hehe you're right about that mate. :D What i meant about that were that it's difficult too know what chips are on the soundcard when it's encased. So you're left with subjective opinions and close too no comparisons around on the web. Hard too get a full picture just going by hearsay and product specs.

Well i got the TASCAM 122 MKII as that one seemed too have a lot of positive writings on this forum right now.

·
Registered
2 Posts

THANKS Zeitgeist :T

·
Premium Member
21 Posts
For a computer use card I have heard from people in the industry it is OK, not great. From a precision
audio testing need, wouldn't be my first choice! But if for one time, in your home theatre, it would work. I am looking at a Focusrite piece right now personally

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thanks for reply, I am on a tight budget and at this point I am only experimenting a little. There is an m-audio dealer nearby, looking also at the m-audio fastrack mk2, would it be a better choice than the creative and will it work well with REW?

·
Premium Member
21 Posts
Honestly haven'y used the M Audio, but I would think the M-Audio has a better D/AC built in.
Creative, and this isn't a knock, is a company based in the computer market, and M-Audio is based in the semi-pro home recording company. You might want to check what has been added within the last few years into M Audio product from Pro Tools partnership, if anything. They just divested themselves of M-Audio, as they are concentrating on the Live & studio markets. M-Audio for the money has always been good value. Creative has been great value as well, just not sure of the spec, and if the spec is flat accross the spectrum..You'll have to do your homework. check some of the pro-audio sites. good luck!

·
Premium Member
21 Posts
You might want to check some of the 'GAMING' sites as this is a card that is well known in that arena, and if you can't find it there, you should be able to find information and user comments on some of the PC sites. They also sell product under a different brand name, which you can most likely identify, if not spelled out in a review, via the looks and features.

·
Premium Member
19 Posts
To date have been using:
Sound Meter RS 33-4050 ,
Desktop PC with XP SP3 32-bit
Sound Blaster X-Fi with external I/O Console.
ASIO drivers work fine with REW.
Frequency response of SB is great, noise level is low but I’m concerned about phase as measured by REW. It looks weird above 10khz.

Hoping to take measurement to higher level-
I just received a USB Tascam US-122MKII to use with an ASUS Laptop, Win 7 Home Premium 64-bit.
I have a pair of B&K 4007’s. I have the original factory Calibration charts that are dated Jan. 1993!
I’m considering having one of them calibrated by Cross-Sectrum. Any thoughts?

BTW, many thanks to Dave Baldwin for the info on using the US-122MKII with REW. It will be very helpful getting it set up.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Yes, thanks for the info on the tascam, I just got mine setup. Also use the asio drivers, did a sound card cal. and I am impressed with how flat it is.

21 - 40 of 119 Posts