Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

41 - 60 of 119 Posts

·
Premium Member
21 Posts
GREAT... I am sure the mic pre's meet your need, and the flexibility of the design allows for other use!
GENELEC makes a proprietary, measurement specific breakout USB card/mic pre...but I feel for similar money the Focusrite will do. The Genelec maybe more precise, but unless you are tunning a studio or concert hall, or have the ability to tune speakers like a GENELEC, and or getting deep into proper acoustical treatments, i.e., RPG diffusion & absorption tools, it is moot. (Just like using a B&K or Soundworks mic or a behringer). Glad to hear it works fine

·
Registered
42 Posts
Behringer UCA 222
Radio Shack digital SPl meter 33 2055
Win XP, HP laptop
Working well, up to about 1KHz.

·
Premium Member
61 Posts
Just getting in to the measurement thing with REW. I have the BFD and a Dayton EMM6 mic, also have a Behringer uca202. have a Nady SMPS-1x phantom power supply. Okay guys what else do I need to get this project going? Waiting on Cables for the BFD. Do I get rid of the Nady and get the Tascam? What Mic cables do I need? From reading the connection site I guess I need the Tascam or the M-Audio is this correct? Guess I need help!:help:

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
Just getting in to the measurement thing with REW. I have the BFD and a Dayton EMM6 mic, also have a Behringer uca202. have a Nady SMPS-1x phantom power supply. Okay guys what else do I need to get this project going? Waiting on Cables for the BFD. Do I get rid of the Nady and get the Tascam? What Mic cables do I need? From reading the connection site I guess I need the Tascam or the M-Audio is this correct? Guess I need help!:help:
1. You should start a thread; this thread is meant to provide a list of working configurations.
2. In your thread you should include more information on what you are trying to achieve overall. For example if all you want to do is run REW, then having a BFD is irrelevant. It'll probably be one step at a time anyway--get REW running, make sure you understand it a bit, and only then work on running the BFD or whatever else you want to do. You may find that having REW opens a whole new world of acoustic exploration.
3. The Tascam (or MobilePre etc) is really just a mic preamp, phantom power supply, and USB sound card in one convenient package. You have everything except a mic pre (which would also convert the balanced mic to the unbalanced signal for the uca202). In that thread you should note what equipment you are committed to using, what you can return for refund, etc. If you can return the Behringer and Nady and just get the Tascam you'd be set. You could also get a small mixer with a mic input to go between the mid and the uca202, and if the mixer had phantom power you could get rid of the SMPS. Basically there are many ways to skin this cat; some ways just put more of the "stuff" into one box which not only tends to have better portability but is typically better for n00b-proofness. Getting REW running can be confusing enough--it's usually better to not have to deal with too many extra boxes, knobs, cables, etc.

·
Premium Member
61 Posts
Thank you for the help! I originally going to use the RS spl meter to just do the sub. After more reading on this site thought I would get more detailed. I can return the Behringer and the Nady so the Tascam looks like the way to go. Once again thank you for your reply and help!

·
Premium Member
88 Posts
Has anyone tried Steinberg interfaces with REW?
I'm considering buying Steinberg UR22 USB interface, but saw someone mention at amazom that the Asio driver didn't work with ARTA.

·
REW Author
6,711 Posts
Post #8 mentions the UR824 and the MR816x, the CI1 has also been used. Make sure you use the latest REW V5.01 beta, there was a fix a couple of versions ago to address an ASIO interface bug that affected some Steinberg cards.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello, although I am new to this project, for measurements I set the following setup:

Mic: Behringer ECM8000 (Uncalibrated)
Mixer: Behringer XENYX QX2442 USB
Soundcard: Asus Xonar Essence STX PCIe

Has worked well, I hope it is useful

·
Registered
9 Posts
REW is working great with my Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 and supplied ASIO driver! :bigsmile:
Hello cicastol, I am not able to get my Scarlett 6i6 to work. The soundcard calibration shows ugly values and then there is an warning/error in REW.

What I am doing wrong? I connect an TSR cable to Mon1 and the XLR end to Mic1, use ASIO in REW and selectes the right INPUT/OUTPUT in REW.

Are my scarlett mixer settings wrong? Could you please post a screenshot of your settings ?

somm

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hello cicastol, I am not able to get my Scarlett 6i6 to work. The soundcard calibration shows ugly values and then there is an warning/error in REW.

What I am doing wrong? I connect an TSR cable to Mon1 and the XLR end to Mic1, use ASIO in REW and selectes the right INPUT/OUTPUT in REW.

Are my scarlett mixer settings wrong? Could you please post a screenshot of your settings ?

somm
Sorry for asking again -> But has someone else tried a Focusrite Scarlett with REW ?

I am not even able to calibrate the soundcard ...

somm

·
Premium Member
88 Posts
I'm considering buying Steinberg UR22 USB interface, but saw someone mention at amazom that the Asio driver didn't work with ARTA.
I want to warn against the Steinberg UR22 soundcard. The ASIO driver works, but noise and hum is a problem with it. Going from jack to RCA obviously isn't ideal (any way at all to avoid noise with that connection?). The UR22 gives me however much more noise and hum problems that I had with my old EMU 0404 USB. It's difficult to measure with high levels. I'm going to get rid of mine and get a new one.

I don't know if this is general problem with USB bus powered soundcards. Does anyone know? My EMU 0404 USB got it's power from the wall.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #53 (Edited)
I don't know if this is general problem with USB bus powered soundcards. Does anyone know? My EMU 0404 USB got it's power from the wall.
There is certainly no problem in general with USB powered soundcards. I personally use an M-Audio "MobilePre USB" (note this is an older MobilePre) that is USB powered and it is dead quiet. Many here use the Tascam US-122/144 interfaces that are also USB powered.

I wouldn't be surprised if you had a gain-matching problem causing your noise--depending how you were using the interface and your connections etc. The US-144 has RCA-jack outputs, which are inherently unbalanced and probably at consumer line level. The older MobilePre USB has line outputs that are 1/4" TR and specifically shown on the datasheet as unbalanced at -10dBV, the consumer level. Outputs on the EMU say they are balanced... but it also says it has consumer/pro level auto-detect and lists a balanced and an unbalanced output impedance.

I could see why some of this might be awfully confusing for someone new to this.

·
Premium Member
134 Posts
Sorry for asking again -> But has someone else tried a Focusrite Scarlett with REW ?

I am not even able to calibrate the soundcard ...

somm
I used/reviewed the Scarlett 2i2 with REW on both Win and Mac and recommend it... I gather from past posts you are using the 6i6? If you are on Mac, please see the input workaround on OSX thread.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I used/reviewed the Scarlett 2i2 with REW on both Win and Mac and recommend it... I gather from past posts you are using the 6i6? If you are on Mac, please see the input workaround on OSX thread.
No, I am using windows but got it to work. I had set the input in the mixer wrong ...

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hi Every one,
Just wanted to check this thread to see if anyone has some ideas to help me. I own a Auzentech Auzen X-Meridian 7.1 sound card and a condenser calibration mic that requires phantom power. On another thread someone suggested using either a Behringer Xenyx 802 or a Samson MDR624 to hook the mic to the sound card. Does this sound like the best way to go or should I bypass the X-Meridian with USB choices? I want to keep the cost down if possible yet get a reliable read for REW.
Thanks

·
REW Author
6,711 Posts
I own a Auzentech Auzen X-Meridian 7.1 sound card and a condenser calibration mic that requires phantom power. On another thread someone suggested using either a Behringer Xenyx 802 or a Samson MDR624 to hook the mic to the sound card. Does this sound like the best way to go or should I bypass the X-Meridian with USB choices? I want to keep the cost down if possible yet get a reliable read for REW.
The Xenyx 802 is a fairly cheap way to get phantom power and a mic preamp, should do the trick, not sure there are any USB soundcards with phantom power and mic preamp that are cheaper.

·
Registered
9 Posts
JohnM I just noticed you wrote REW. And I wanted to personal Thank You for what many considered the best program for helping to deal with room acoustics. And to make it available for free speaks very highly about you.

·
Registered
8 Posts
About to download REW and take my first measurements.

Windows 7 64-bit on dekstop PC;
ASUS Xonar Essence ST PCI-e soundcard
Choice: between Radio Shack SPL Meter, or
V-Tech VT-1009 uni-directional mic and
Behringer Tube Ultragain Mic100 mic preamp.

I'm thinking to start with the SPL meter, and hoping all the files for it are still available.

41 - 60 of 119 Posts