Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can I use REW to help place my main speakers? Would I need to upgrade from the Radio Shack Meter to Behringer ECM8000 Measurement Microphone?

How is the Behringer mic hooked up?

I have experimented with the speakers and not heard a huge difference in sound but it can be hard to pick up changes. I use my dedicated HT for 95% movies.

For what it is worth here is a photo of the front speakers you get an idea of the placement. I have moved the subs closer to the center channel due to REW readings. The Subs are HSU ULS-15's the LCR are Paradigm LCR 450's.

Any help is appreciated.

Bill

·
Registered
7,514 Posts
Can I use REW to help place my main speakers?
Yes.

Would I need to upgrade from the Radio Shack Meter to Behringer ECM8000 Measurement Microphone?
The RS meter is only accurate to about 3KHz. For full range the ECM8000 (plus preamp) or Galaxy CM-140 is a good choice (and well worth the investment).

How is the Behringer mic hooked up?
See the REW Cabling and Connections Basics thread...

The Subs are HSU ULS-15's the LCR are Paradigm LCR 450's.
Really nice looking theater.....

brucek

·
Premium Member
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the compliments on the room, I do woodworking for a living so it was all in a days work for me.

What I mean by place is locate and point. I have read much more about deep bass but I assume you want to limit big peaks and valleys in the higher frequencies also?

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
Thanks for the compliments on the room, I do woodworking for a living so it was all in a days work for me.

What I mean by place is locate and point. I have read much more about deep bass but I assume you want to limit big peaks and valleys in the higher frequencies also?
I wouldn't worry about the so called "deep bass" as your mains should not be going below 60Hz anyhow let the subs do the work. Have you tried moving your subs to the outside corners? I think that just by looks your mains are fine just where they are.

I also agree, very nice work on the room

·
Premium Member
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I wouldn't worry about the so called "deep bass" as your mains should not be going below 60Hz anyhow let the subs do the work. Have you tried moving your subs to the outside corners? I think that just by looks your mains are fine just where they are.

I also agree, very nice work on the room
I have measured and moved the subs and they measure and sound fine.

I am wondering if I can improve the sound by adjusting the placement of the front speakers.

·
Super Moderator
9,252 Posts

I am wondering if I can improve the sound by adjusting the placement of the front speakers.
Well, judging from the picture, you don't appear to have much "wriggle room" in the placement department.

Still, it never hurts to experiment. As brucek mentioned, the RS meter is only accurate up to about 3 kHz. Fortunately, the rule of thumb is that the room's effect on a speaker's response is primarily below 1 kHz, so the RS Meter should do fine for what you want.

Regards,
Wayne

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
Given the close proximity to your seating position I would not think much more can be done. I think maybe moving them in to wards the screen maybe a foot would help with the imaging for the person sitting in the center of the front couch. Can you push the front seats back a bit?

·
Premium Member
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Given the close proximity to your seating position I would not think much more can be done. I think maybe moving them in to wards the screen maybe a foot would help with the imaging for the person sitting in the center of the front couch. Can you push the front seats back a bit?
I had the basement finished when we built the house. The HT was just dry walled no moldings or paint. With all that was going on with my business and building the house I did not have the time to do the kind of research needed before building a HT. I made the room to short, bummer. The room is TIGHT.
There is no room to move the chairs. The reality is that very seldom does someone sit in the front. If they do its a kid or we have company. Truthfully the near field position of the speakers dos not sound bad.

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
You stated in your first post that you like how they sound "I have experimented with the speakers and not heard a huge difference in sound but it can be hard to pick up changes" I would not worry about it and just enjoy it. I only wish my room looked as nice as yours.
You may want to raise the front left and right speakers maybe another foot so that they fire more over the front row if that is where you sit most of the time. Your center looks good.

·
Premium Member
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
You stated in your first post that you like how they sound "I have experimented with the speakers and not heard a huge difference in sound but it can be hard to pick up changes" I would not worry about it and just enjoy it. I only wish my room looked as nice as yours.
You may want to raise the front left and right speakers maybe another foot so that they fire more over the front row if that is where you sit most of the time. Your center looks good.
I may try that, thanks.

Being that I figured out REW, I need to measure something??
I do want to pull the subs out from the wall a bit and see if the sound changes.

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
I know I mentioned it earlier but placing the subs in one corner maybe stacked could really help with your lows.

·
Premium Member
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Here are the measurments of the subs as shown they sound boomy in the corners.
I don't think I need any more bass loading
Subs Audyssey on dynamic volume on

Waterfall of the same plot

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
That graph does not seem right but as I'm no expert in using REW maybe some one else can chime in on that. What are the dimensions of the room? Looking at what you posted there is a bump at 80Hz That would acount for the "boomyness" you hear what is the crossover set at on your receiver?

·
Super Moderator
9,252 Posts

Re-calibrate the graph for a vertical scale of 45-105 dB, and a horizontal scale of 15-200 Hz. The "Graph Limits" button at the top right of screen is where you do that.

I'd suggest re-doing your waterfall at 300 ms for starters, with the scale set to LIN ("Frequency Axis", also at top right of the screen). I find that setting is much easier to analyze compared to the standard LOG setting.

Regards,
Wayne

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
After talking with member brucek I realize some flaws in my judgement on your placement of the subs in that your subs are very capable and placement where you have them should be more then fine.:hide:

·
Premium Member
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Tony no big deal, it is an odd response. I am concerned with it.

Wayne and Bruce do you see a need for EQ? I was thinking about the the SVS EQ1. Both of my subs measure very close to one another. It appears EQ may be a waste of money. It may be able to help that waterfall. It appears I have decay issues?

Here is the waterfall Linear, I don't know why it stops at 110

Here is the log waterfall

Here is the subs with Audyssey on, Dynamic volume off.

Dynamic volume raises the line, here is dynamic volume on.

I would like to overlay these graphs on top of one another, how do I do that?

Thanks

Bill

·
Registered
7,514 Posts
Bruce do you see a need for EQ?
Nope, not at all.

Here is the waterfall Linear, I don't know why it stops at 110
Bug in the program. That's why you use LOG and not LIN......

It may be able to help that waterfall. It appears I have decay issues?
Not in my book you don't....

would like to overlay these graphs on top of one another, how do I do that?
Use the Measured tab and select the graphs in the checkboxes...

brucek

·
Premium Member
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Measured tab, thanks. I had found that early on and then forgot where it was.

I'll bet you don't find a lot of people that admit they are a little disappointed that there is nothing to tweak!

Hmm?

Here are the left and right channels to 3000, the room is heavily dampened. All the tan panels in the photo are 1" fiberglass.
1/3 smoothing

No smoothing

Any comments or observations?

Thanks again,

Bill

1 - 20 of 28 Posts