Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Banned
22,577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

REW v5.01 Beta 10 Released

Beta 10 changes are as follows (uploaded 12/15/12):
  • On Windows REW automatically detects the MiniDSP UMIK-1 USB mic, offers to use it for measurement and prompts to load the cal file.
    If the USB mic is selected sample rate is set to the preferred value for the mic (48k), capture volume control is set to 0.1 (for no gain), the Mic/Meter settings are set to mic input, use of other channel as a timing ref is turned off and the SPL readings are calibrated for the mic sensitivity.
  • Improved the waterfall controls to provide better control over appearance and frequency resolution and allow waterfalls to be used for examination of driver and cabinet resonances on full range measurements (see the Waterfall graph help in REW for details). Changes are:
    • Added a control to the waterfall plot to select the number of slices, up to 100 (previously fixed at 31)
    • Added controls to the waterfall and spectral decay plots to select the rise time of the left hand window
    • Added frequency and time axis markings to the floor of the waterfall plot
    • Added a control for the smoothing applied to waterfall and spectral decay plots
    • Added a control to the waterfall and spectral decay plots to operate in "CSD" mode, with the right hand end of the window remaining fixed rather than the whole window sliding along the impulse response.
  • Added a check box to show the modal frequencies for a room on a measurement, requires room dimensions to be entered via the EQ window
  • Added a control to the Impulse graph to shift the impulse by a time corresponding to an entered distance
  • When the impulse graph t=0 offset samples control is adjusted the time and distance offset controls update to show the equivalent values
  • Disable antialiasing when scrolling graphs to provide faster response to the controls
  • Disable antialiasing when adjusting waterfall x/y/z/slice sliders to provide faster response to the controls
  • Changed the input type selection in Mic/Meter preferences to clarify when the C weighted SPL meter should be selected
  • Added a file menu entry to export distortion data as text
  • Added CEA-2010 Tone Burst to the signal generator, to measure results use the RTA with FFT Length 65536 for 44.1k or 48k, 131072 for 88.2k or 96k, Rectangular window
  • For DSP-30 increased Q resolution to 0.01, max filters to 20
  • SPL calibration takes into account adjustments of input volume control (if accessible, i.e. input selected in REW, Java sound driver, running Windows)
  • Bug Fix: Changing ETC smoothing was still not working in locales using comma as decimal delimiter
  • Bug Fix: RT60 calc could reset an applied IR filter
  • Bug Fix: Square wave signal generator did not operate at sample rates above 48kHz
  • Bug Fix: Phase wraps in excess phase trace were not drawn dashed
  • Bug Fix: RTA one octave and half octave centre frequencies were wrong
  • Bug Fix: Filter selection check boxes on EQ filters panel were partially obscured

Click here for access to the download files.

Enjoy!

This is an announcement thread only. For help with REW, please use the REW Forum. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
Hey Sonnie,

If I am posting in the wrong area then feel free to let me know.

With the MiniDSP UMIK-1 USB mic would a outboard USB sound card still be needed to output the test tones or would the output from most internal sound cards be just fine?

I am chomping at the bit to order a USB mic to make using REW about as easy as possible.

·
Banned
22,577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Unfortunately I do not know the answer to that question. You might ask in this thread and maybe John or someone that knows more about sound cards can answer. I think I will need my USB sound card for the output signal on my laptop, but I am not absolutely sure and not sure about other computers.

·
Registered
1,633 Posts
I will go ahead and ask there.

Thanks Sonnie.

·
Registered
34 Posts
This is my first post. I just wanted to thank you for making this great program and let us use it for free. Thanks!

·
Registered
69 Posts
On this new version, if I use HDMI output for the test signal, can I tell it what channel I want to use? Also, do I need to tell REW to use HDMI for the output? If this can be done, this would be VERY very cool.

·
Banned
22,577 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
On this new version, if I use HDMI output for the test signal, can I tell it what channel I want to use?
I don't think so, but it may depend on what sound card you have. John will probably know for sure. I have the AMD HDMI Output in my Sound/Playback devices configured for 5.1, but I don't think the REW sweep is sending a 5.1 signal so my AVR does not read it. The only way I get output from my subwoofers is to set my mains to small and set my crossover to 80Hz, redirecting that bass to the subwoofers.

Also, do I need to tell REW to use HDMI for the output? If this can be done, this would be VERY very cool.
Yes... you do tell REW to use your HDMI output in the REW Preferences Output Devices.

John is working on a few things to help us with this... and it is nice to be able to use nothing more than an HDMI cable to get the output sweep to the AVR. No more worries with external USB sound cards.

·
Registered
5,772 Posts
John is working on a few things to help us with this... and it is nice to be able to use nothing more than an HDMI cable to get the output sweep to the AVR. No more worries with external USB sound cards.
That is great news for laptop owners!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thanks for this program that I have used a number of times. It has helped me tune up my room and equipment to a point where the whole experience is greatly improved.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I realize that there is no MacOS release version yet, but I have a MiniDSP UMIK-1, so I tried the zip version anyway. I am reporting this to assist in getting it working -- I get a NPE on startup:

Exception during startup

Level:
SEVERE
Stack Trace:
null
java.awt.Container.addImpl(Container.java:1043)
java.awt.Container.add(Container.java:925)
roomeqwizard.R.<init>(Unknown Source)
roomeqwizard.R.G(Unknown Source)
roomeqwizard.DB$_A$1.stateChanged(Unknown Source)
javax.swing.JTabbedPane.fireStateChanged(JTabbedPane.java:400)
javax.swing.JTabbedPane$ModelListener.stateChanged(JTabbedPane.java:253)
javax.swing.DefaultSingleSelectionModel.fireStateChanged(DefaultSingleSelectionModel.java:116)
javax.swing.DefaultSingleSelectionModel.setSelectedIndex(DefaultSingleSelectionModel.java:50)
javax.swing.JTabbedPane.setSelectedIndexImpl(JTabbedPane.java:599)
javax.swing.JTabbedPane.setSelectedIndex(JTabbedPane.java:574)
roomeqwizard.DB.<init>(Unknown Source)
roomeqwizard.FA.C(Unknown Source)
roomeqwizard.lB.G(Unknown Source)
roomeqwizard.RoomEQ_Wizard.main(Unknown Source)
sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:39)
sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:25)
java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:597)
apple.launcher.LaunchRunner.run(LaunchRunner.java:116)
apple.launcher.LaunchRunner.callMain(LaunchRunner.java:51)
apple.launcher.JavaApplicationLauncher.launch(JavaApplicationLauncher.java:52)

REW V5 works fine on my system.

$ java -version
java version "1.6.0_37"
Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.6.0_37-b06-434-11M3909)
Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (build 20.12-b01-434, mixed mode)

OS X 10.8.2 (12C3006)

If I can be of assistance to get this working, I will be happy to help. I'm a Java programmer, so I shouldn't need much instruction. :)

-Max

·
Registered
69 Posts
I purchased the new USB mic specifically for REW, connected my PC to my INtegra 80.2 and have no clue what to do next. I did download the ASIO4 add in and don't know what to do next. Once upon a time I used REW with an exterenal sound card but got so frustrated with inconsistent results, gave up and purchased OmniMic. A Poster on AVS was selling how easy REW is now to use with this new USB mic and ASIO add on that I spent the money and am as confused as I ever was.

Is there an EASY to follow step by step guide so that I can actutally use this system???

1 - 20 of 26 Posts