Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

81 - 100 of 114 Posts

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
I thought a few tips on REW V5 might be in order, I'll start with some people may not have come across. Feel free to add any tips of your own.
<SNIP>
  • Move between measurements with Alt+UP and Alt+DOWN, go directly to a specific measurement with ALT+1 or 2 or 3…9
  • Move between graphs with Ctrl+LEFT and Ctrl+RIGHT, go directly to a specific graph with Ctrl+1 or 2 or 3…9
<SNIP>
Hi John, you're REW tool is the greatest, man!!! How do you keep up? :TT

I had some trouble getting either of the above very desirable features to work. Are they only active from a certain window or part of the screen? TIA

·
REW Author
6,711 Posts
Discussion Starter #85
The shortcut keys can be a bit temperamental sometimes, they seem to get swallowed by the OS on occasion for no obvious reason, and some are used by the OS for other things - for example, on OS X the ctrl+left/right keys are used to switch workspaces so they never get to REW. They usually work though, at least on Windows and OS X with the latest REW beta (I don't have an original V5 install to try right now).

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hello John
Can you kindly tell the difference between Umik-1 + Rew and Omnimic v2.

I have been through all the trouble of Having external sound card + MIc Preamp+Amplifier + MIc and had only light success.

What ever I have read till now makes the combination of Rew and Umik-1 too good to believe.

I have Omnimic in parts express Cart but have not yet purchased just bcos this reason.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Hi,

REW v24 dont work with Asio4all 2.12. OS=Windows 8.1 64bit.
The System crashed and shutdown.
Any Idea?

thanks for this great Programm, Alpi

·
REW Author
6,711 Posts
Discussion Starter #89
REW v24 dont work with Asio4all 2.12. OS=Windows 8.1 64bit.
The System crashed and shutdown.
Any Idea?
Afraid not, I've just tried ASIO4All 2.12 with beta 24 and it worked OK for me on Win 8.1 64-bit, using both the 32-bit and 64-bit JREs.

·
Premium Member
23 Posts
Hello John, I have not used REW for a while and forgotten something. I am using a Umik Mic and have a cal file. Do I use the same cal. file on the soundcard tab? It let me use the same file on both the soundcard and the Mic/Meter tabs but leaving the soundcard page blank yielded slightly different frequency response in the high frequencies.

·
Premium Member
23 Posts
Thanks John, that explains why the two graphs were slightly different in the high frequencies. Another quick question, how I do I change the color of the curves? If I displayed more than one on the screen, they often had the same color. I managed to change them on the "View" tab and fooled around with the "trace colors" but I really didn't know if I did it right because the results seemed random each time regardless of the color I clicked on. For example, am I supposed to click on set default colors after click on a color of the "choose a color" pop up chart?

·
REW Author
6,711 Posts
Discussion Starter #94
You can change the colour of any individual trace by clicking on the icon that looks like a paintbrush on the measurement panel. The default colours for new and existing measurements can be restored by clicking on Set Default Colours. If "Save trace colour with measurement" is selected on the view screen the colour a measurement used is saved in the mdat file and restored when it is next loaded, if that is not selected measurements loaded from file will use the next available colour from the View preferences list.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I've been told tat you authored a very fine transient response measuring waterfall program. Ever since I've first seen a waterfall plot (which fully appreciate) I wanted to see a 3-D graph examining steady-state response where the temporal axis was replaced by frequencies output for every frequency generated tone input. Has your microphone capable of a real-time fast-Fourier-transform analysis? Perhaps, it would read easier if the output frequencies were normalized by dividing by their respective input frequency & label it, “harmonics”.

I've heard so many speakers that make noise at frequencies that ear very little resemblance to the signal, especially at real-bass & super-treble extremities. It'd be nice to see what I hear. Thanks for your consideration.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello John.

First of all I want to say thank you for the unique great job.

Sorry, I write in this thread, but I was unable to find a topic for suggestions to the author of the program. I would like to see a button or check box "always on top" in RTA program window, it will be very useful function when make real time fine tuning with DSP control programs. Also, it was, would be very cool to control the transparency of program windows. Can you add more XO types for EQ window, for now is not clear what type of filter (BW, LR) is used in the program. Also, in EQ window will be useful function for add more one "HF Fall slope" function for modeling B&O psychoacoustic curve. Can you add more features for EQ, for LP and HP filter types will useful gain and Q control also (miniDSP like filter). And I think that in your plans a writing some for generate correction filters for common system phase/response correction (DRC). That would be absolutely great all-in-one software!

With Best regards,
Pavel.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Friends Forum:

My English is very bad, I apologize for that. I will thank you to inform me if REW V5.1 works well with external "USB Focusrite Scarlett Blast Solo" and "microphone Behringer ECM8000".

Grateful for your help, greets

Ramon : dontknow:

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have Rew 5.0 installed and want to upgrade to 5.14. But I am afraid that my files and CAL files will be lost if i just download and install 5.14 on top of 5.0. Can someone please advice on how to upgrade to a later version without loosing anything?
Best regards
Sleiven

·
Premium Member
21 Posts
I compared REW white noise RTA plot compared to REW runs, with 1/12 smoothing. Don't know which plot validates which, both are, to my old researcher eyes, amazingly close. The upper trace is a sine run and the lower is white noise RTA, under 200 Hz to above 10kHz. Somewhat more convenient to do white noise runs, just a few seconds at upper frequencies and you can fool with your EQ in real-time.
Thanks, John, great tool.
Ben

Attachments

81 - 100 of 114 Posts