Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm reading over the stickies and I don't understand what the receiver is.

I think I am correct in that I can use my mbox2 b/c it has phantom power and hook that directly up to a mic. yes?

can I get by with using any of these mics?: blue baby bottle(large diaphragm condenser) shure sm7b (large diapragm dynamic) or sm57? that's all I have currently.

·
Super Moderator
9,273 Posts

"Receiver" as in your home theater receiver (aka AVR).

Any sound card with line inputs and outputs will work. If the sound card has a built-in mic pre amp, that can be used to, if you intend to use a calibrated mic. Most people just use the Radio Shack SPL meter, since you have to have one anyway to use REW.

You can use any mic you like, as long as you have a calibration file for it. The calibration file corrects any deviation from flat (and all mics have some kind of deviation from flat).

Regards,
Wayne

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
"receiver" as in your home theater receiver (aka avr).
i don't have one of those. Do i need something like that for my nearfield monitors?

any sound card with line inputs and outputs will work. If the sound card has a built-in mic pre amp, that can be used to, if you intend to use a calibrated mic. Most people just use the radio shack spl meter, since you have to have one anyway to use rew.

You can use any mic you like, as long as you have a calibration file for it. The calibration file corrects any deviation from flat (and all mics have some kind of deviation from flat).
are you saying i can use either the radioshack spl meter or a calibrated mic?

Thanks friend

·
Super Moderator
9,273 Posts
i don't have one of those. Do i need something like that for my nearfield monitors?
Sorry 'bout that - since this is primarily a home theater forum, we just assume that home theater electronics are what people are using, unless they tell us different.

But if your monitors are active, you can send the signal directly to them from your sound card.

are you saying i can use either the radioshack spl meter or a calibrated mic?
Yes. As noted, you'll need a SPL meter anyway. In our Downloads section we provide a calibration file for the Radio Shack meters, so that their built-in mics can be used for the measurement. This is typically the route taken by folks who are only interested in measuring subwoofers, however. If you're interested in full-range measurements (and it sounds like you are), you should go the calibrated mic route, as the Radio Shack meter isn't accurate above about 3 khz.

Regards,
Wayne

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes. As noted, you'll need a SPL meter anyway.
If you're interested in full-range measurements (and it sounds like you are), you should go the calibrated mic route, as the Radio Shack meter isn't accurate above about 3 khz.
kind of confused here. the radio shack meter won't do what I need but I need an spl meter anyway. And I do need a calibrated mic.

does this tell me that I need a mic and an SPL meter but not the radioshack one?

So like I need the Galaxy-CM140-CS and a small diaphragm condenser that is calibratable?

·
Super Moderator
9,273 Posts

A SPL meter is required, Without one you can't accomplish REW's SPL calibration routine, where the program "learns" that 75 dB is 75 dB, and not some other arbitrary figure. If this is not done, the vertical axis dB designations on the graphs REW generates are meaningless.

As a side benefit, the Radio Shack SPL meter is also suitable for accurate low frequency measurement. So if low frequency subwoofer measurements are all you're interested in, then the Radio Shack meter is all you need.

However, if you desire accurate full range measurements, a calibrated mic is required in addition to the SPL meter. The calibrated mic will also require a mic pre amp and, depending on the mic you use, phantom power as well. We typicallly recommend the Behringer ECM8000 mic or its equivalent that is available from other manufacturers. We also provide a generic calibration file for the ECM8000. However, the best accuracy is assured by purchasing a mic with a custom calibration file (i.e. specific calibration to the specific mic). We have a recommended vendor Cross Spectrum, that provides custom calibrated mics.

However, any mic can be used, as long as there is a calibration file available. A calibration file can be created if there is a manufacturer's frequency response graph available as a reference.

ALTERNATELY, the Galaxy CM-140 SPL meter is accurate enough to do full range measurements (unlike the Radio Shack meter). So it could do everything you want in a single package.

Regards,
Wayne

1 - 9 of 9 Posts