Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I seem to have a different setup than the instructions and help files I'm viewing, and so before I make the measurements, I want to make sure I'm properly hooked up. My Presonus Firestudio is my soundcard, which connects via Firewire. I have both the RS Meter and the ECM 8000. Also, I don't have a sub and my monitors are self-powered, so I don't go through an amplifier. So to connect with this setup using the ECM8000, I would plug that into my right line in, (Channel 2 of 8) and take my left line out (which would be my left monitor) and plug that into the left line in (Channel 1)? Is this correct? Thanks for any help!

·
Registered
7,514 Posts
No, I don't think so.

You will stick to the right channel line-in and line-out for everything. Leave the left channel open at all times.

Before you begin, you need to create a soundcard calibration file to compensate for its response. This involves connecting a loopback cable from the right channel line-out to the right channel line-in and executing the soundcard calibration routine.

Do that first and post the results.... then we can carry on. :)

brucek

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks brucek!
I'll try getting that done tonight after work. I'll post whatever I can tomorrow. Thanks
Jim

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So here's what I got. The first time I ran the soundcard settings I got a feedback loop and had to play around to turn off the direct monitoring. After that, I got this graph:
soundcard.jpg
It looked fairly normal based on the help file, but when I went to follow the "checking your calibration" settings, I got this graph:
check.jpg
I followed all the instructions, and afterwards, just to see, I turned on the C Weighting SPL Meter and got the U curve. Strange to me, but hopefully an easier answer to someone out there. Thanks!

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Oh I guess I wasn't expecting such a huge drop. If that's how it's supposed to look though, I'll continue with my testing. Thanks for the help.

·
Premium Member
6,711 Posts
There isn't any drop, the curve which is dropping from 80Hz is the target shape for a subwoofer with 80Hz crossover, your measurement is the flat dark blue line.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts