Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I finally figured out what I was doing wrong with REW and now that I got it working it opens a whole new level of tinkering...

My graph is with some EQ but I plan on spending more time on it and smoothing it out as much as possible. I need to disconnect my mains and get the sub response smoothed down the sloping line.

I'm just glad it is working now.

My sub is the midQ Kappa Perfect 12VQ slot vent designed by avaserfi and Wmax.

Thanks to the designers of REW...this software is a lot of fun.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You have some nice bass response there.
What sort of box is it.
Thanks for the comment.

Box is 22.5x22.5x25 inches (7.3 cubic feet), with a large slot vent 3x12.5x55 inches long tuned to 19 Hz. I'm using a bridged PeaveyCS400X which gives me 600 watts bridged at 4 ohms. I have a harrison labs Fmod 20Hz 2nd order high pass filter in the signal path to protect the driver from over excursion below the tuning frequency

Here is a pic.

There is an extremely long thread in the DIY section over at forums.audioholics.com/forums about this build.

I'm glad I went this route when choosing my first DIY sub. I'm thinking I need another one to help with those big dips in response but until I can beef up the amplifier to an EP2500 the single sub will have to do. :)

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Helping those dips would come from moving the sub around to other positions.

brucek
Yes good point. I plan on trying a few other positions to see which one has the smoothest response. I cannot imagine lifting this thing onto my sofa and crawling around for bass...my sofa's leather would rip I'm afraid :)

·
Registered
7,514 Posts
Just put the sub on the floor in front of the couch. This will allow you to find the best area for the sub with the RTA crawl-around test. Then move the sub there and fine tune.

brucek

1 - 6 of 6 Posts