Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

61 - 80 of 106 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Thanks for the video. I at least have a clue how to start. Many Thanks.

Just one request. I appreciate if the speaker can speak slightly slower so that those viewer with English as second language (like me) can follow easier.

Many Thanks.

Alan

·
HTS Senior Moderator
5,288 Posts
I'm not a Mac guy so really can't help much. Not familiar with that microphone. That said, I've never done a mic calibration. As long as the mic is decent, you shouldn't have to. We really don't care if the very top or bottom end are down a couple of db. We're looking for relative variation and relative change as seating, speakers, and subs are moved in the room to get the best starting point and identify the frequencies at which problems occur. Don't really care if that null at 120Hz is -10db or -12db - just that it's a null and it's at 120Hz.

Wish I could help with your issue but I wouldn't let that hold up measuring as long as you can get a good reading. It will be pretty clear in the measurement if it looks to be a valid one or not.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I'll try that. I figured since I'm having trouble following the directions in the video it applied, but I'm happy to try whatever will lead to fixing the problem. I was also working directly with Bryan before I even found this thread.

Bryan. I tried it on PC as well. Same issue. I also tried it on a different mic. Same issue. I'm pretty stumped. I'm getting a fairly consistent reading though so, I guess it's ok. I'm still learning how to read all the different data.

I'll try starting a new thread.

BTW - I found the video moved a bit too fast too :).

Hey Pier,

This thread is specific to the YouTube tutorial, not ironing out REW issues. You’ll have better luck getting answers to that by opening a new thread.

Regards,
Wayne

·
Registered
2,761 Posts
I've used REW before with RCA cables and the UMIK 1. To be sure with the Mini DSP UMIK 1 there is no need to calibrate any sound card correct?

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
GIK, thank you for the video! It helped me understand more than I thought I knew.

At the beginning, the narrator mentions that, for instructional purposes, both mains will be measured at the same time. He then goes on to say that (real-world) individual measurements will be made later. I don't think the second video has been made yet, so I looked for help and found it from new member "ntran" in Post #8 of this thread.

The document is a step-by-step guide to REW and holds a wealth of information in a wrritten version as easy to follow as the video!.. Topics like computer setup with HDMI and ASIO4ALL, measuring speaker/sub combinations, and all the workings of REW itself.

Thank you, ntran!

·
Registered
1 Posts
It was very helpful to learn from this thread that Soundcard calibration is not required for a USB mic. I am using a Dayton Audio UMM-6 mic and did download the calibration file and included it in the REW preferences setup. Currently when I run "Check Levels" I cannot get the input meter to indicate in the recommended range of -24db to -12db FS even with my mic input level set to 100% (in Windows control panel). In indicates about -35db FS and this is based on a 75db signal as measured by my stand alone SPL meter. Is this a problem I should be concerned about?

·
REW Author
6,711 Posts
Nope, nothing to worry about, per the REW help on checking measurement levels: If using a USB mic the signal may be much lower, below -50 dB, this is OK

·
Registered
2,761 Posts
I've used REW before with AV connections but now that I tried with hdmi I cannot open the channels on the REW output to select. I am using the Umik 1 mic with the calibrated file. I go to preferences on REW and made sure I selected Asio4, then on input I selected umik1 but for output it says Not Connected. The hdmi is connected to the back of the avr and I can see/display the PC/REW info on the tv screen.
Any thoughts please?

·
REW Author
6,711 Posts
I've used REW before with AV connections but now that I tried with hdmi I cannot open the channels on the REW output to select. I am using the Umik 1 mic with the calibrated file. I go to preferences on REW and made sure I selected Asio4, then on input I selected umik1 but for output it says Not Connected. The hdmi is connected to the back of the avr and I can see/display the PC/REW info on the tv screen.
Any thoughts please?
Could try following the miniDSP article to see if that helps, it covers it all well: http://www.minidsp.com/applications/acoustic-measurements/umik-1-hdmi-on-windows

·
Registered
2,761 Posts

·
REW Author
6,711 Posts
I don't know, sorry. Were you able to select both the UMIK and the HDMI output on the ASIO4All control panel? Did you restart REW after doing that? What output devices does REW show? Might be worht posting a couple of screenshots of the ASIO4All panel and the REW soundcard preferences. I guess there's also a chance the HDMI behaviour may depend on the surround mode the AVR is set to.

·
Registered
2,761 Posts
I don't know, sorry. Were you able to select both the UMIK and the HDMI output on the ASIO4All control panel? Did you restart REW after doing that? What output devices does REW show? Might be worht posting a couple of screenshots of the ASIO4All pane and the REW osundcard preferences. I guess there's also a chance the HDMI behaviour may depend on the surround mode the AVR is set to.
I was able to select umik for input and for output it says not connected or it says hd something. I needed to check the avr hdmi settings.

61 - 80 of 106 Posts