Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
Except for being slightly lean in the bass, Grado SR60 series is the one to beat. They are an open-back design, so might distrub others under quiet conditions. That said, I haven't heard them, but the Sennheiser Momentum on-ear phones seem to be right up your alley. Read a review here.

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts

·
Banned
4,838 Posts
I have been impressed by the sound and value of the Sennheiser HD 419 / HD 429 / HD 439 / HD 449 series. The HD 449 started out at close to $200 retail, then the price has dropped and dropped and is now down to $120 retail and only $49 at Amazon. They sound great, are super comfortable, closed design is good for privacy. For under $100 I would start with the HD 449, it probably beats most other 'phones under $100 by any other manufacturer.

They definitely meet your "rich, full bodied" criteria. Bass is strong but not bloated like some 'phones.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for all the feedback guys. I'll look into these. I currently have some cheap Sonys that sound alright for when I'm working in the office but I'm hoping to find some for my "zone out" sessions at the end of a long working day. Thanks again!

·
Registered
431 Posts
I can +1 the ATH-m40's. They're a little stiff out of the box, and definitely benefit from a bit of burn-in time.

Based on my experience with those, I wouldn't hesitate to buy the m50's.

I also had good luck with a pair of Sony MDR V6's. Good all-around cans with a nice clear upper end and a present (but not too pushy) bottom.

·
Banned
4,838 Posts
I would love to try those K712s! Still a K701 fan!

Still really enjoy the ATH-M50, priced a little higher, but once in awhile it dips down to $110 or so.

The Sennheiser 558 is a good choice for $99 on Amazon.

The AKG K550 is awesome, but more like $150 - $200.

I like Grados if they could just make them more comfortable.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts