Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well, the clock is now officially ticking for those with analog sets, as the AACS licensing authority has released the "Final Adopter Agreement" quietly on June 5. Buried in the document are two items those of us with perfectly good analog-only displays (who have no desire, or funds, to upgrade) have dreaded:

BluRay device makers will have to restrict analog outputs to low resolution first:

2.2.2.1 Analog Sunset – 2010. With the exception of Existing Models,
any Licensed Player manufactured after December 31, 2010 shall
limit analog video outputs for Decrypted AACS Content to SD
Interlace Modes [composite video, s-video, 480i component video and 576i video] only.

On the last day of 2013, analog outputs will be banned on BluRay players:

2.2.2.2 Analog Sunset – 2013. No Licensed Player that passes Decrypted
AACS Content to analog video outputs may be manufactured or
sold by Adopter after December 31, 2013.
http://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2009/06/hollywood-drives-us-

Presumably, this also means that the studios will start making use of the ICT in the next year or so, and "should" note that on the cover art. Combined with the compatibility mess called Java, along with the "innovative protection schemes" pushed by the paranoid bean-counters (Fox, I'm looking squarely at you), what else might be in our future?

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
Does this mean that my HDPVR wont be allowed to output 1080i television broadcasts over component?

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Does this mean that my HDPVR wont be allowed to output 1080i television broadcasts over component?
The report reads like it is specific to Blu-Ray players (I could have missed something), so I think (at least for now) you're safe...:)

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
I hope so because I love my CRTRPTV is got a great picture and have no desire to upgrade it. Sadly it only has component inputs.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts