Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

41 - 60 of 137 Posts

·
Banned
22,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
Yeah... see that is just it. I don't want to build a system for one or two instances of info below 10Hz that I will hardly ever be using. Nothing really impresses me about getting a few seconds or minutes of something that turns my insides a little.

·
Premium Member
1,941 Posts
Sonnie, the tune is too high hor the yellow curve, you can use more extension...

·
Registered
345 Posts
Yeah... see that is just it. I don't want to build a system for one or two instances of info below 10Hz that I will hardly ever be using. Nothing really impresses me about getting a few seconds or minutes of something that turns my insides a little.
I see your point but we're talking a difference of less than 3db at 16hz vs extension well below tune, plus no need for the high pass/subsonic of the port artifacts and phase issues when crossing to the mains. Plus less amplifier power.

·
Banned
22,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
What you see that I modeled above is with a high pass filter at 5Hz. May or may not need it, but I would not take a chance.

·
Banned
22,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
If I am going to go with 4 drivers... it appears tuning to 10Hz with an LLT will best the sealed and be much less stress on the excursion of the drivers ta boot.

For that matter... look what happens when I increase the enclosure volume to 100ft^3 on the LLT.

·
Registered
2,431 Posts
If you're all of the way up to 100ft and 4 Mal-X's I'd just forget the ports and Mal-x's altogether and get 8 Fi IB 18's and run them in a manifold in the 150ft. Call it done. That's just me though.

·
Banned
22,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
lol... it's always fun spending someone else's money... :spend: :spend: :spend:

:nono: I am STOPPING at 4 X's.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
And why are you concerned with the limits of this system? You are easily at reference even without room gain. This system will newer see more than 10% of the rated power unless you are a total nutcase. This system will create earthquakes! :hsd:

Having said that, I can totally see why you do it! :p

·
Banned
22,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #52
Driver for driver, there is no scenario you can create in which sealed offers better overall performance.

My only question is why are you set on using a 10hz highpass?

I am not "set" on anything. I was simply showing it for a comparison.

·
Banned
22,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
And why are you concerned with the limits of this system? You are easily at reference even without room gain. This system will newer see more than 10% of the rated power unless you are a total nutcase. This system will create earthquakes! :hsd:

Having said that, I can totally see why you do it! :p
Yeah... agree. Limits are mainly for comparison sake as well. We could back it down to 3-400 watts... the plot doesn't change as far as the differential of the comparison.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Sonnie - are you going to keep the Behemoth LLT in the HT room or is it going to find a new home in the main part of the house? This is going to be incredible with the newly planned 4 18's plus 2 or 4 15's. The neighbors may think different when their pictures fly off the walls.

BTW - your HT room looks great. It appears a lot of planning went into its design and construction.

·
Banned
22,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
The Behemoth is no more... :sad:

I should have kept it, although if I had of kept it, I would not be doing the 18's.

See... I tore out the old HT room because it was too small and we could not heat/cool it properly. I thought I had done a good job planning, but there were some unknown variables, which at the time did not seem too important... not nearly as important as they ended up being in the end. So... we decided we would tear it out and one day do it right. That one day is coming a little sooner than anticipated. Lucky me... :bigsmile:

·
Registered
2,431 Posts
Driver for driver, there is no scenario you can create in which sealed offers better overall performance.
This is debateable, but mostly true and I would agree. However if the first three words of your sentence are removed it becomes un-true.

·
Banned
22,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #58
So how do I decide which will ultimately be best?

Excursion, air port velocity, nor first port resonance are an issue.

So much to work with and so many choices.

·
Registered
2,431 Posts
That's akin to saying car A can drive further than car B using the same amount of gas. But car B can drive further than car A when car B gets to use more gas. I'd certainly hope it can.
Heh. I just had to. Somebody does :hide:

Exactly right. Gas = enclosure size so that Car B = the ported system and Car A = sealed system. :devil:

Of course you were equating it this way. Gas = Amount of drivers. Car A = ported. Car B = sealed.

41 - 60 of 137 Posts