Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

101 - 120 of 137 Posts

·
Banned
22,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #101
We watched a clip of Cloverfield tonight, the girl that works with me, her husband and myself, and there is absolutely no doubt that it was all over us. It literally vibrates the body... we could feel it in our clothes, hair, chair... everywhere. It is everywhere in the room, including on the body. It is just ridiculous... and it is clean and effortless. I am somewhat overwhelmed by it.

·
Registered
2,398 Posts
Fit and finish looks great Sonnie :T The clearance around the port openings scares me a bit, as the air flow is going to be much more turbulent than it needs to be, but I can understand the want to tie things in to structures that will be existing in the room regardless. You did go with the 12" diameter ports, yes?

·
Banned
22,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #103
It ended up at 80ft^3 and the ports are 8", but I have not noticed any noise from them.

I am wondering if the cavity behind the port, which is 10.5" x 18" x 30" is acting as a port in combination with the 8" x 17.5" round port... due to the strange measurements I recorded. I plan to test the tuning frequency today. Of course the overall measurements are nice, so whatever happened, I ain't complaining.

·
Banned
22,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #105
Yeah... we modeled it and it looked okay, so we went with it. We modeled with a 10HZ HPF, so that helped with the port air velocity and excursion.

I just checked and I believe the tune ended up being closer to 9-10Hz instead of the planned 12Hz, which if you look at the nearfield driver and port measurements, it makes sense.

Oh... and we originally only planned for two drivers... and later changed to four, after I had already built the riser with ports.

·
Registered
2,431 Posts
I don't know how I missed this thread.:rolleyesno:. Any way it looks good Sonnie. The graph you posted does look like the tune is around 11-12hz. The ports will still have significant output a bit below tune. You probably get a nice tactile feel off of the riser as well, no?

·
Banned
22,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #108
Well... that riser is so well connected to the floor and braced so heavily that when it moves, the floor moves with it. It seems to me that there is about the same tactile feel out of any seat I sit in. I do not notice any more out of the riser seats or any less out of the seats in front of the riser, however, there may be a slight difference.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Wonderful looking build. Can I borrow you to work on my HT? ;)

The response does look a little odd, and you might be right about the cavity acting as an extension for the actual port. Not a super straight forward setup, so it might be a little more difficult to put an exact finger on where in the enclosure it is effecting things. But, you are right... overall it is definitely an effective package :)

Glad we could be part of it.

Thanks,
Scott

·
Banned
22,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #112
It has been my plan all along to try to do something with the Fi Q 18's and the Mal-X 18's. Kevin was running short on his first order and the second shipment was not in at the time I was getting everything ready for the install. Scott was able to customize these for me and it worked out better for me to go with the Fi's. They are truly unbelievable subs too... and that is not to take anything away from the Mal-X's, which I am sure are as equally good. It's like a kid at Christmas with all these great drivers we have from our sponsors.

The Mal-X 18's are not out of the picture though. I still want to do a pair of those in the middle on each side of the room... or perhaps replace the Audiopulse 15's with the Mal-X 18's for the front, which may be the better option so that I can tune the fronts a little lower and close to what the backs are tuned.

I would really like to be able to support all of our sponsors at some point in time because they all have great drivers. It would also be nice to maybe try out a couple of 21's.

·
Registered
52 Posts
The actual driver vs. port measurement are very strange it seems.
That's to be expected with this bizarre design. Once the distance from the driver to the port exceeds 5' there's a disconnect between the two, as a result the port doesn't function as predicted in a standard sim.

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
It has been my plan all along to try to do something with the Fi Q 18's and the Mal-X 18's. Kevin was running short on his first order and the second shipment was not in at the time I was getting everything ready for the install. Scott was able to customize these for me and it worked out better for me to go with the Fi's. They are truly unbelievable subs too... and that is not to take anything away from the Mal-X's, which I am sure are as equally good. It's like a kid at Christmas with all these great drivers we have from our sponsors.

The Mal-X 18's are not out of the picture though. I still want to do a pair of those in the middle on each side of the room... or perhaps replace the Audiopulse 15's with the Mal-X 18's for the front, which may be the better option so that I can tune the fronts a little lower and close to what the backs are tuned.

I would really like to be able to support all of our sponsors at some point in time because they all have great drivers. It would also be nice to maybe try out a couple of 21's.
OH, so you get these subs for free? Man, that would be awesome...
Do you keep them, or just try them?
I wonder if someone would sponsor me for my r/c car racing...lol

·
Registered
349 Posts
so are you ultimatly trying to do a sub per chanell setup like dolby originaly did when they first demoed their 5.1 tech?

or are you just filling the room because its so big?

101 - 120 of 137 Posts