Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I just thought I'd post some pic of the work Ive got done so far. Its a 8.5 CF enclosure with a 6" port. Its going to be a down firing subwoofer kind of like the sonotube type design. The port is 26.6" long for a 17hz tune. I will be putting an RL-P 15 D2 in the enclosure and powering it with an EP 1500. The measurements are going to be 20.25" X 20.25" X 48" then Im going to add a piece of 3/4" MDF to the top and two more to the bottom with 1.25" X 5" legs and a 1.5" bass plate. Its realy starting to come together, sure is going to be heavy though . What do you guys think.

DSCN0656.JPG

DSCN0657.JPG

DSCN0661.JPG

DSCN0663.JPG

DSCN0662.JPG

·
Premium Member
960 Posts
Welcome to the shack Jerm!

Looks awesome. I've been toying with the idea of going ported lately myself.

Do keep us up to date on your listening impressions. :)

·
Banned
22,577 Posts
Nice work Jerm :T This should be interesting. I've got 4 of these drivers just sitting here for now. I've been wondering what one would do in a larger box.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Heres some more pics..........I got the last wall up and is gluing now all that is left is to glue the leg frame/ driver mount on, screw on the bass plate, sand the out side corners, Install the speaker terminals and wire it up. (Oh and finish it some day) Man this speaker building thing is tiring

Attachments

·
Premium Member
960 Posts
Well, i cant wait for you to finish this thing already...so we can hear how awesome it sounds :)

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Here are the finished pics (well almost finished Im still giong to paint it with something nice). It realy turned out very good for only my second enclosure. It ended up not being as heavy as I thought it was going to be. Its probably around 150 to 200lb (not weighed) but moves easy with the bass plate on carpet. I also rounded all the corners with the power sander and it took about 2 1/2 hours to get it where I liked it. The whole build took 4 days straight and I can realy feel every single day right in my lower back. It looks 10X better then the pictures turned out. Im still going to add a 12" grill from my old Polk Audio subwoofer to the top of the port. Standing back and looking at it I still cant believe I built it. Im very happy how it turned out:bigsmile: :bigsmile:

DSCN0682.JPG

DSCN0686.JPG

DSCN0687.JPG

DSCN0691.JPG

DSCN0692.JPG

DSCN0701.JPG

DSCN0708.JPG

DSCN0709.JPG

DSCN0710.JPG

DSCN0716.JPG

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Yes I have and it sounds great. This thing is a beast, the bass is so tight and low. It sounds soooo much better then my 4cf sealed box I built. Im still messing with the levels but so far I could not be happier. I have it wired for a 4ohm load and its only seeing 450watts but it is so much louder then the sealed that was seeing 1400watts. All I can say is all of you with a sealed RL-P that are getting low output and think its your receiver you should really build a ported design. You wont be sorry. :T

S

·
0 Posts
Jerm-

The sub came out great! I'm gonna be starting mine in a few weeks.

1. Did you use any sound damping material around the port cone?

2. Did you end up adding more cabinet bracing?

Thanks!!

S

·
0 Posts
Cool...you make it look so easy:)

I am trying to pick up a high quality cable to connect the driver to the binding posts (internal wiring). Can I/should I use bananas or spades? (I was at my dad's place this weekend and took a look at the driver...forgot what could go with it).

On another note, I found this acoustic treatment on parts express that I think I'm gonna line the cab with:

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=260-535

BTW, you only used two pieces stacked of on the bottom (where the driver goes) and just screwed the driver into the one piece of MDF, right?

Thanks!

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well I just used 10Gauge for the wiring with no bananas or spades. I figured that there was a better chance of them to come loose then bare wire (that and I did not have any). About the acoustic treatment I would probly use this http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=260-516 or the 2 1/2" stuff. On my enclosure I used 3 pieces of mdf for the bottom. 2 for the driver to screw in to and one to flush mount it (all 3/4") I took the part in the first pic then I added the part in the second pic and glued it together. It takes a whole 3/4" to get the driver flush.

DSCN0673.jpg

DSCN0675.jpg

M

·
0 Posts
Looks awesome. Every time that thing thumps, you'll feel like a proud papa! Do you have the design you used? Any chance we could get some test results from that thing? What are you leanindg towards for the outside: paint, stain, vaneer?? And finally, What's his name?

Is there any reason you went with a box design instead of the sonos?

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
The design I used is on the first post (8.5cf and a 17Hz tune) Im working on some graphs but I dont have a laptop so I cant realy do a REW one Ill have to do It manual. On outside Im planning to paint because all the work I put into rounding the edges. I think Im going to go with a Piano black finish. I haven't realy thought of a name yet but Im working on one. Oh and the reason I didn't go with a sonotube is I could not realy find one at a good price. But I looked. Heres some pic of the fiberglass I installed after the build was complete (What a pain in the A$$ do yourself a favor and put it in before you seal it up). I could not reach all the way up to the top of the enclosure so I lightly stuffed the top with polyfil.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 55 Posts