Home Theater Forum and Systems banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2,431 Posts
Furthermore, that 85dB1W/1m driver will have to handle higher excursions to produce that same volume level and therefore reaching its Xmax limit at low frequencies before the 88dB1W/1m driver. So, a low SPL rating means you need a higher Xmax and more powerful amps to produce peak volume levels.
This is not a true statement. A 94db rated driver and an 87db rated driver with the same SD in the same sealed box both at 10mm excursion will produce the same SPL. The power required to make each driver produce that excursion will be different.

·
Registered
2,431 Posts
Thanks all, so to clarify, and to possibly raise some eyebrows here... My Infinity sub has an RMS of 400 and a peak of 1400. In WinISD it reaches Xmax at roughly 400 watts. Why would I want to use a Behringer 2500 to power this sub if a far lesser amp will reach the woofers Xmax? (Am I making any sense here?)
You wouldn't need an EP2500 for that driver. It could be used if your are careful not to overdrive the sub. The amount of power needed to reach xmax and the freq's it is reached at varies greatly depending upon the enclosure design. 400w rms is supposed to be the long term thermal rating of the driver and doesn't really relate to the xmax. Also those specs are notoriously sketchy. You can usually use an amp with 150% of the RMS rating on a driver, or more, without much concern, as long as you don't exceed xmax, or do it on a really long extended basis.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts