Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A new member posted an idea that he is using and it really got me thinking. Using a rollup window blind as a screen, It seems like such a simple and cheep way to go I cant believe I never gave that idea any thought.

Would a roll up blind for windows work as a screen and has any one tried it?

·
Moderator Emeritus
3,772 Posts
Actually, I did pick up a white shade and a gray shade at Wal-Mart some time ago. I just never got around to projecting on them (I misread the size and they are smaller than I thought).

The White shade is about N9.5 and the gray shade N8.5. They are not neutral, put probably neutral enough for quick and dirty service.

·
Registered
2,234 Posts
They have been used a lot in the past.

One problem with them is they do allow a significant amount of projected light through. If you get one that is large enough and made to totally block sunlight from coming in a window, then the price usually shoots up. It gets to a point that compared to some of the low end inexpensive projector screens, it isn't really cost effective.

They also need to be modified some, adding weight at the bottom so they lay flat and won't move from a breeze or anything. They can also be susceptible to wave issues. Also to over come any light bleed some have tried painting them.

Unless a person needs a smaller size retractable screen, if they desire anything 90" diagonal and larger I'd recommend getting a cheap electric retractable screen and either use it as is or paint it with your favorite screen paint. A low end electric retractable screen can be had for around the $200 mark.

I still have my concerns about painting a retractable screen and long term use because paint will become brittle over time (years) and then trying to roll it could create cracks. I do know someone that has painted several commercial retractable screens though and has been using them for a couple of years now without any cracking or peeling.

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thats very interesting to know, I was wondering about the bleed through problem and agree that the "blackout" blinds do get pricey.

·
Premium Member
368 Posts
Anirbana at the other place uses a blind from Ikea with his IN80, and he posts alot of screen shots from it.
Not sure what size it is.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I can personally say that it works fine for a period of time. I painted IKEA "light-block" window blinds and used them for over a year with sucess. What happened eventually was that the "sides" curled up towards the viewer and then it began to get small waves.

The fabric can be painted, but it shrinks during curing.

If you add weights to strech the blind, beware that it can only take limited weight. My first attempt led to a blind that rolled out by it selfe.

I actually had three IKEA blinds. One for 16:9, one for 2,4:1 and one for 4:3 all with individual painted black frames, and painted white projection area. A headache to paint with the shrinking but hey, I was in love :bigsmile:.

Conclusion? In a hurry for a retractable screen with no money to spare, sure go for it ! Tweak you PJ and hope for the best. But if you are looking for a long term relationship....well...I would look elsewere.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts