Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thanks to a forum that will remain unnamed I have been directed to this fantastic forum that I otherwise knew nothing about. First off, kudos for developing such a pleasant and ingenious community.

I am looking for a C&S mix for use with a JVC RS2 at 16' on a 106" (2.35) screen in a light controlled environment, rolled. Seating distance is at 9'. I have a BOC screen ready to go primed with Kilz2. My first attempt at HVLP spraying was a disaster and I just want to get up and running without having to deal with that learning curve just yet.
TIA
g

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Silver pearl? I don't think I'm in Kansas anymore.

Maybe I should start from the beginning. This RS2 is my first pj. I have a Bravia xbr1(32) lcd and I love the picture. I hooked up my RS2 and pointed it at straight boc and asked where is the detail in the dark bits? black crush. I failed miserably trying to spray a mix that I will not name onto my boc primed with Kilz2. Failure. Utter failure.

So I reprimed and I think what I am seeing now is better than straight boc, but placebo effect may be kicking in.

I'm using a Cambridge Audio dvd player upscaled to 1080. I'm going to have to scrape together the cash for another bluray player, because I don't think I can handle PS3 gaming on a screen this big.

C&S has been recommended to me, but I am an utter noob here. I am not set on any particular mix and to my dismay have not done nearly enough research.

·
Moderator Emeritus
3,772 Posts
Hi G!

Welcome to the Shack!

Glad you found your way here. I think it sucks when competing forums disallow links to each other, but such is life.:rolleyes:

Here is the link to the C&S topic thread here:
http://www.hometheatershack.com/for...528-cream-sugar-n9-reflective-screen-mix.html
Don't be put off with all the charts, graphs and numbers, they are there to show how C&S was developed and prove that it works. I'll have to admit it was a bit of over-share, but over at "the other place" there is a great lack of hard data proving anything; and when someone does try to prove what they say they usually get slapped around for it one way or another. It doesn't make sense to me.:dontknow:

There are three ways to make C&S, the first uses Sherwin-Williams Luminous White as a base; the second uses about any brand white paint (I've tested Lowe's Valspar Ultra Premium Enamel and Home Depot's Behr Ultra Pure White) and adds 3 colors of metallic paint to neutralize the mix. The third way uses a color only found at True Value hardware stores, but only uses a single metallic paint like C&S#1. I have since found a custom tint formula that can be used at Lowe's to use their Valspar Enamel since True Value stores are not on every street corner. :)

I developed the #2 and #3 mixes because some Sherwin-Williams stores only sell Luminous White in gallons and you only need a quart for most screens. I wanted C&S to be easy to mix and inexpensive as well.

C&S can be applied with a roller or a spray gun. I'm a sprayer, others can help you with rolling instructions; but there is no special technique needed for C&S.

·
Moderator Emeritus
3,772 Posts
Silver pearl? I don't think I'm in Kansas anymore.
That's for sure and for certain!:bigsmile:

BTW, Silver Pearl is a multi-layer paint mix designed by a very enterprising fella Down Under. I think you should stick with something a bit easier for now.;)

C&S has been recommended to me, but I am an utter noob here. I am not set on any particular mix and to my dismay have not done nearly enough research.
Reading through these DIY forums can be a bit intimidating because there is so much to learn. It really isn't necessary to know all this stuff to just paint a screen, but the more you know the more likely you are to get the screen that suites YOU.

I have a PJ at the other end of the spectrum from you; a lowly Viewsonic PJ503D. It ain't much, but it's bright! To simulate your situation I moved my PJ (it's in my workshop, not my HT:rofl:) back so I'm getting a 106" wide screen (133" 4:3 diag.). This dropped my screen brightness from about 19 foot-lamberts down to 6.8, which is even dimmer than yours according to the calculator at ProjectorCentral. With this low a level of light, even Black Widow, in it's current N7.5 flavor, is a bit dark. The lighter versions under testing are looking good, but more testing needs to be done before they are ready for prime-time. Until then, I truly think C&S is the paint for you.:T

·
Banned
14,914 Posts
Glad you found your way here. I think it sucks when competing forums disallow links to each other, but such is life.:rolleyes:
I still get a kick out of the 'fox guarding the hen house' thinking that we're actually trying to drum up members there! :dumbcrazy: :coocoo:

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
C&S came out really nice. I don't think I will go with BOC again, I need to restretch in places. Rolling seems to stretch the material, then tighten it back up once it dries. I have not officially calibrated, only messed with brightness and contrast on the fly, mostly because I didn't think I had enough to work with.

C&S has definitely given me a quality starting point. Thanks Harpmaker.

·
Moderator Emeritus
3,772 Posts
C&S came out really nice. I don't think I will go with BOC again, I need to restretch in places. Rolling seems to stretch the material, then tighten it back up once it dries. I have not officially calibrated, only messed with brightness and contrast on the fly, mostly because I didn't think I had enough to work with.

C&S has definitely given me a quality starting point. Thanks Harpmaker.
You are more than welcome G. Sorry to hear that your BOC screen stretched when you painted it. I have no experience with BOC; I bought some, but never used it.

Please keep up posted on your progress.:T

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I got one roller mark, it was my own fault, just missed it you know?

I think I can get away without re-stretching. It is just a little baggy at the corners.

Here's my current progress...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts