Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello there,

I have a new listening that I'm working on. I'm interested in treating it. I've just
downloaded the room eq wizard, what else is needed?

I've never treated a room before so this is all new.

Thanks.

·
Registered
7,514 Posts
Everything is explained in the REW HELP FILES.

It will be well worth your while to take the time to read them through completely before starting. :)

Post any questions in the BFD/REW forum section.

brucek

·
Registered
251 Posts
Greg,

> I've never treated a room before so this is all new. <

Understand that measuring a room, which is much of what REW does, is very different from actually treating a room. As I see it, the main reason to measure your room is to understand how bad it is and see how important it is to treat it! :duh:

Regardless of what you measure, the treatment goals are identical or at least very similar. All rooms need:

* Broadband (not tuned) bass traps straddling as many corners as you can manage, including the wall-ceiling corners.

* Mid/high frequency absorption at the first reflection points on the side walls and ceiling.

* Some additional amount of mid/high absorption and/or diffusion on any large areas of bare parallel surfaces, such as opposing walls or the ceiling if the floor is reflective.

For the complete story see my Acoustics FAQ.

--Ethan

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys. The instruction seem clear enough. I was think about measuring before I went out and purchase treatment options.
I don't want to waste any $$$ on that stuff. It would be nice to know exactly what is needed. Anyone has a magic wand??

1 - 4 of 4 Posts