Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there a common Hz area for room gain specifically in the 20HZ area.
I know each room is different for gain amount and frequencie but does the same low Hz show up frequently.
My sub is dead and I wasn't able to master REW so I cant measure my room.

The reason for the question is for tuning my sub build, if two different tuning frequencies both have their own pro/con scenerio it may help me decide which way to go.

If 20Hz room gain is a regular occurance I wouldn't want to pick the tuning that is strong in 20Hz but drops off sharply below 20Hz, instead I could choose a slightly lower tune that has less output at 20Hz but rolls off slower.
Does this make sense?

·
Premium Member
1,941 Posts
Hello Rod,

The stronger and lower room node will be the axial one. Below that frequency, room gain will be around 6 db/octave (this no. is variable depending on room construction).
In moderately sized rooms assuming 15 ft length, the axial node would be around 35 Hz (that's your strongest peak).

Anyway, tune as low as you can not for that reason, but for better accuracy than a standard ported sub. You might also want a BFD?? We all use it to obtain whatever frequency response we want :).
I also suggest you use this program if you have a "shoe-boxed" room. It will give you a fairly accurate idea about the effect of your room on low FR.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks,
I cant get that program to work though. It saves as a .frd file
I am using WINISD and I think this stuff is over my head still

·
Premium Member
1,941 Posts
I have edited the link. Try again...it'll work this time :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts