Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
HTS Senior Moderator
5,288 Posts
I wouldn't. If you do splay them, you'd want 1" per foot per wall so you'd be 48" narrower at one end than the other. That assumes you want them non-parallel enough to be effective down into the bass also.

Bryan

·
Registered
42 Posts
I wouldn't. If you do splay them, you'd want 1" per foot per wall so you'd be 48" narrower at one end than the other. That assumes you want them non-parallel enough to be effective down into the bass also. Bryan
Thank you, I can't afford to lose that much real estate. I am worried now the room may feel small with my infinities and especially small if I land some Betas ;).

Treatment will be inevitable. Stay tuned!

·
Premium Member
5,794 Posts
RT60 should be taken with a grain of salt and used as a comparative reference. RT60 is really more for larger spaces. Basically what it's telling you is that you have .45 seconds from the time that a 125hz tone stops until it decays by 60 db. .71 seconds at 250hz, etc.
So what kind of number should you shoot for with a HT? I ran the calculator on my room and I got 1.58 @125hz, 3.23 @250hz, 3.94 @500hz, 4.58 @1000hz, 3.79 @2000hz, and 3.5 @4000hz (it might vary a bit on my dimensions as we still have to finish up the ceiling and 2 walls) with only gypsum board, and carpet with pad selected.

·
HTS Senior Moderator
5,288 Posts
It's based on the volume of the room. Generally for smaller spaces, we look at what it's doing in the first 300ms and in general like it to be down about 40db in that timeframe.

21 - 24 of 24 Posts