Home Theater Forum and Systems banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What's the best way to deal with serious dips/nulls?

I have a serious dip at ~43 Hz response and no matter how what filters I set for it, it seems to make no difference, it's the same? I don't get the estimated graphs at all. Somehow in my setup sound gets sucked up at 43 Hz??

Would adjusting the phase or sub distances in the AVR help?

I guess moving the sub around is another option (unlikely as I don't have any other location for it).

·
Premium Member
6,711 Posts
To get rid of nulls you need to move the speakers or listening position or apply extensive acoustic treatment. You cannot correct nulls with filters, they are the result of interference between the direct signal from a speaker and a reflection, modifying the signal from the speaker (via a filter) has the same effect on the reflected signal so the end result is no change. About the only exception is if the dip is at your crossover frequency and is caused by your subwoofer and speaker being out of phase with one another at that frequency. This can generally be much improved by adjusting or inverting the sub's phase or adjusting the sub distance (which shifts its phase).

1 - 2 of 2 Posts