Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know I am doing something wrong, but I don't know what. I am trying to model with WinISD, but when I change box volume, it isn't doing anything that makes sense. I uploaded the graph. When I change my box volume it simply raises or lowers the peak at 17 Hz. The graph looks fine in a 1 cubic foot enclosure so I know something is wrong. What am I doing wrong?

Attachments

·
Registered
887 Posts
Your box volume is way too big. Bring it down a bunch. Maybe you are working in different units than you think...

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The only way I can flatten this curve out is to make the box .5 cubic feet (14.2L). Something is definitely not working right. Here is my graph with a .5 cubic foot enclosure. What else can I be doing wrong?

Attachments

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have a feeling my driver parameters have to be wrong because other drivers are working fine and showing bigger enclosures being way better.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I found some mistakes in the driver parameters, and didn't know how to fill in some of the blanks. I am plotting this now, and it looks like I need an 11.365 cubic foot (321.8 L). This is way too big. I was hoping for an absolute max of 7 cubic feet or around 200 liters. Any ideas?

·
Registered
131 Posts
In this general forum up at the top in the stickies, go in downloadable winisd files, in there you will find the correct driver file. Just put the file in the drivers folder inside winisd program.

I modeled this at 7.5cf, which started as a 8cf box but after bracing and everything it ends up being 7.5. With a bash 300 it would need 2 4in ports 28 in long. try those numbers to get ya started and work from there to the get the idea of how it works.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I found the correct files on Dayton audio's website. I plugged them in, and I come up with 8 cubic foot enclosure tuned to 17 Hz being pretty ideal. I am getting the same port length that you are getting for a 7.5 cubic foot enclosure so I think I am on the right track now. This is a big box, but it would sound good if my Mom will accept this big of an enclosure. I am building it so she can have surround sound. What determines how many ports I should use?

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
From the modeling I have done it looks like I should just forget about the 15" sub unless I am going to commit to an enclosure of at least 9 or 10 cubic feet. With a 6 or 7 cubic foot enclosure the 12" sub show to be a better fit.

·
Registered
252 Posts
From the modeling I have done it looks like I should just forget about the 15" sub unless I am going to commit to an enclosure of at least 9 or 10 cubic feet. With a 6 or 7 cubic foot enclosure the 12" sub show to be a better fit.
There are other 15" subs you can consider. The IXL-15 models very well in a 5 cf enclosure.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I think the IXL 15 is out of my budget. It is well over $200 to get one in the United States. I need to at least stay below $200. The Dayton 15 HF was only $150. I thought that I would get a great low distortion driver with the Dayton 15, but I am not sure I could make my Mom happy with that big of a box. I want to stay ported if I can since ported offers more performance with smaller budgets. I just think I need to keep box enclosure to a maximum of 6 cubic feet which is still a pretty big box. I might go measure my Mom's living room today and see what she feels will be the maximum allowable size.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I think 6 cubic feet will be fine. That is what I was originally planning on. I just didn't realize that the Dayton RSS390HF needed such a huge box size. It looks like box size will determince the best sub. Is Dayton still the best bang for the buck with a 6 cubic foot enclosure? I want deep output for the rumble, as well as very little distortion, but high SPL is not a big deal. I thought the RSS390HF would fullfill all of these requirements until I saw that it needed such a big box.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Since a 24" cube is 8 cubic foot external, does that mean that the bracing takes up 2 cubic feet? It looks like the trio12 would even work pretty good in a 4.5 cubic foot enclosure. I went to my Mom's house today, and she can easily fit a 22" height, 22" deep, and 17" wide. That comes out to 4.76 cubic feet. I may be able to squeeze a little more, but 5 cubic feet external would be about maximum.

Mike, would the tri012 in a 5 cubic foot external box be able to be pretty equivalent to something like a SVS PB12 NSD? I thought about upgrading my amp for my PB13/Ultra and giving my Mom my old amp. That would be a 750 watt bash with PEQ.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I forgot to add that I am buying a big order for some DIY speakers through Parts express, so I would get free shipping and possibly a small additional discount on any woofer from parts express.

·
Premium Member
19,397 Posts
Since a 24" cube is 8 cubic foot external,

That's 24" external using 3/4" material, internal is a 22.5" cube, about 6.6 cu.ft and the slot port would take up 1 cu.ft. That leaves 5.5. cu.ft.

would the tri012 in a 5 cubic foot external box be able to be pretty equivalent to something like a SVS PB12 NSD?

It's pretty well the same frequency response although I'm not sure what SPL the SVS is capable of. The TRIO12 will do 110 db at 20 hz plus room gain if any.

I'll have a look at P.E. to see if there are any subs that will match the TRIO12 in your budget.

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
The trio 12 does seem to be a good value. A sub at parts express would have to be no more than $179 to be just as good of a value as the trio 12. I will get free shipping, and an additional $10 discount with parts express so that lets a sub from parts express be quite a bit more expensive, but I am not sure the subs in this price range are as good as the trio 12. Granted, I will spend up to $200 for the sub, so if there is something that is just a little bit more money, and offers a lot of extra performance, I would definitely be willing to spend a little extra. The trio 12 does seem to be an excellent value.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts