Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
First of all I'd like to thank Mike and all the other posters here for the help I've received. There's alot of good info here. I've spent more time researching than actually building.

Dimensions
21"x21"x42"
7.9 cuft usable internal volume
6" port 24.75" long

Hopefully this weekend I'll get a start on finishing the exterior. I can't wait to get it finished.

Attachments

·
Registered
41 Posts
Edges routered and had to bondo a few inperfections at the corners. Ready for primer!
This looks really nice so far. Great work. I would suggest playing with your internal damping material though. Vented enclosures should not usually exceed 50% damping of internal surfaces. Too much damping will lower overall output. I would start with 25% coverage of internal surfaces and then experiment from there. Be sure to take measurements with each of the fill/damping coverage amounts.

·
Premium Member
19,397 Posts
This looks really nice so far. Great work. I would suggest playing with your internal damping material though. Vented enclosures should not usually exceed 50% damping of internal surfaces. Too much damping will lower overall output. I would start with 25% coverage of internal surfaces and then experiment from there. Be sure to take measurements with each of the fill/damping coverage amounts.
As mentioned in another thread, I compared lined to unlined by ear and there wasn't much difference. Do you have any measurements to show "lower overall output"?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Finished! Put on the last coat of paint Sunday and lugged it into the house yesterday. I haven't had a chance to really test drive it with any movies yet. Got it connected to my Denon 2310CI and ran through the Audessey setup. Played a couple scenes from Underworld: Rise of the Lycans. I now know where all the loose wall hangings are.

Overall, I'm very pleased with the finish of the cabinet.

Attachments

·
Registered
41 Posts
As mentioned in another thread, I compared lined to unlined by ear and there wasn't much difference. Do you have any measurements to show "lower overall output"?
Nearly all of the vented designs showcased on the site tend to be Larger Low Tuned designs with Chebyshev type alignments. These are "over-damped" enclosures by design typically yielding system 'Q's in the neighborhood of .57 QTC or so with out the requirement of damping enclosure mterial. By completely lining the vented enclosure with absorptive damping material, one is choking off some of the air movement to a degree that the enclosure is designed to take advantage of.

Now, I am not against using well placed damping or reflection absorption materials (8lb ft^3 density mineral wool/rockwool), but lining an entire vented enclosure with it is simply not necessary and begins to be counter productive (increasing impedance peak frequency, further reduction of system 'Q', along with slightly lowering output).

As for specific measurements, output differences will be smallish sometimes more sometimes less. It will be dependent upon the frequency and the system 'Q' in which the driver is aligned with. I have not had a chance to measure this specifically but I will see what I can dig up for you.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The finish looks great! What kind of paint did you use?
Thanks!

Two coats of Zinsser schellac primer and 3 coats of Glidden acrylic black satin paint. Applied everything with a top quality roller and backrolled final layer. It looks as if it's been sprayed. Even the wife doesn't mind looking at it so that's a plus.

Jerry

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I did go with the RSS390HF. The graph shows both but the top one isn't labeled for some reason. I'll edit that correctly.

Thanks Pete, nice eye.

·
Premium Member
101 Posts
That looks great, nice work. This is the first time I've ever heard someone refer to egg crate foam as "damping" material. It's not like Sonic Barrier or No Rez... there's nowhere near enough mass to absorb any kind of bass frequencies in that stuff.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Nice paint work! I made the jump to the HPVL spray gun to get a smooth finish. I'd used rollers like you did before but I NEVER got a finish quite like you did. Bravo my friend, very nice work indeed!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks guys. Was alot of fun learning and building. Movies really come to life now. I'd rather watch a movie at home than at the theater anyday!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts