Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Spectrum and RTA graphs in the RTA Window don't show any data below ~15.75 Hz. Is it possible for this to be extended lower with a few more octaves?

Here is why I am asking:
  • I'm able to route movies directly through REW using my MOTU 1248 AVB mixing panel.
  • I used an 80 hz crossover with a 24/db per octave slope for all channels (to match the THX filter and speaker sum).
  • I routed the subwoofer channel to REW's input digitally using the MOTU mixer.
  • I used REW with ASIO input to receive the subwoofer signal.
  • I set levels in REW per Blue Sky's http://abluesky.com/support/blue-sky...on-test-files/ test tones and methodology to make it easy to reproduce. The REW SPL Meter was set to C weighting and slow.
  • SPL by Frequency - I used the REW RTA in RTA 1/48 octave mode. With an FFT length of 131072, each FFT bin is only .18 Hz wide. I also used flat top windowing to provide accuracy to .01 dB. Averaging was set to None to accurately track the peaks.
  • SPL by Time - I used the REW SPL logger with the SPL Meter set to Z weighting and fast. From the manual, it looks like this updates every 125ms.
I want to see the SPL at various frequencies and where the peak SPL occurs. I also want to know the peak SPL requirements for playback at Reference Level. For a test, I used a clip from War of the Worlds. I simultaneously ran the SPL logger and the RTA to get SPL by Frequency and by Time. The SPL Meter provided peak SPL. Below are the graphs. For accuracy, I would like to record as low as possible and not be limited to ~15 Hz.

·
REW Author
6,711 Posts
The spectrum will show data down to the FFT bin width or 2 Hz, whichever is higher.

The RTA is limited in part because at the lowest frequencies the RTA bins become smaller than FFT bins (for example, at 15 Hz 1/48th octave spans 0.2 Hz). A pseudo RTA mode is possible by scaling FFT bins according to relative width when they drop below the RTA bin width, but it gets awkward for shorter FFTs so I picked a reasonable lower bound that works for all FFT lengths. Displaying lower frequencies in RTA mode is one of the things on my TODO list but it's not near the top.

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
Now this is something I had never really thought about, sound below 15hz. Very interesting.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts