Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone heard that some are saying that Blu-ray may end up going the way of Beta and Laserdisc? I wonder if there's any truth in this?

Moviefanatic

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
The only thing that "may" happen is they start using flash memory for storing HD movies however they have some hurdles to work through one of them being cost of the 32mb flash card (more than enough space) being high.
I dont see this happening any time soon though (maybe 5 years or more away) in the mean time BluRay is here to stay. The studios have way to much invested in it to abandon it any time soon.
There may be a possibility of downloading but again there are alot of infrastructure upgrades that must happen if this is to come to pass.

·
Banned
22,577 Posts
I suspect in a year or so those 32GB flash cards will be less than 20 bucks, two years probably less than 10 bucks, but that still would not be low enough, so I agree... it will be a while. However, four to five years down the road will be here before we know it.

I certainly have not heard anything on Blu-ray. They are sure releasing a LOT of movies every week, BUT the prices are ridiculous. I am being extremely selective in my BD purchases. I think I own maybe four right now.

·
Banned
14,914 Posts

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
The only thing currently threatening BR sales is VOD (downloads/streaming videos) and although that may hurt a certain percentage of sales the average person will still want an actual disc to keep for purchases.
There are far too many people who only have dile up for internet services so a disc is still needed The studios would never stop selling actual BluRay unless there was another media available. Flash media is possible but they are also susceptible to accidental erasure. Also VOD still doesn't have the bandwidth to alow for fully uncompressed HD and the uncompressed audio.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Until the masses can download HD material quickly with lousy internet connections, I don't see it going anywhere for quite awhile.

·
Banned
22,577 Posts
I watched my first VOD via Dish Network when we viewed Knowing. While it says its 1080p, it did not look at good as Blu-ray, but maybe it was the movie. I would have to see it on BD to verify. Nonetheless, it broke up and froze on several occasions... over a half dozen times at least. It was my first VOD (at $6.99) and it will be my last.

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
I rented Knowing over the weekend and the video quality was very good. I just really did not like the movie.

·
Registered
613 Posts
My only VOD experience has been using OnDemand with the cable, so not sure if that really counts or not... It works as expected and is nice for the occassional rental but doesnt have a high def section. As far as HD & VOD, many are starting to offer so called High Def but there either low resolution and/or compressed to much. Vudu's service is the only one Ive been reading that has the best quality but forces you to download if first (I actually like this idea) which takes up to 4 hours but can be done remotely. However there are to many other dislikes I have with this company to give it a try as of yet.

To clarify my original comment was not to say that VOD would beat out Blu-ray; I only meant that its convienient rentable availability will have an effect on blu-ray sales to a certain degree.

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
What about simple DVDs? Would/will they get rid of them any time soon, do you think?
No, There are millions of people who dont even have the gear to play HD content. let alone a digital display. CDs and DVDs are here to stay for a long time to come. Down loadable movies/music is still lousy quality and alot of people who want the quality still buy CDs and DVDs.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I don't think bluray is going anywhere soon. currently most people doing downloadable video don't care about the quality (as much) they just want the convienence of watching now. For example I am using neflix to watch Heroes streaming and movies that I don't really care about quality. However, when I want to watch a blockbuster or have "movie night" with the kids I put the bluray on my Queue

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I see that Blu-ray has exclusives that the regular DVDs do not have. I find that to be a terrible gimmick. If they weren't so greedy I could see whatever special feature I wanted on DVD, but now it seems I need a Blu-ray player...

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
I see that Blu-ray has exclusives that the regular DVDs do not have. I find that to be a terrible gimmick. If they weren't so greedy I could see whatever special feature I wanted on DVD, but now it seems I need a Blu-ray player...
DVD's can only hold 9gig of information. BluRay can hold 50gig. You simply can not put all the features that are on a BluRay disc on a regular one. This is why, its not a gimmick.

·
Registered
1,405 Posts
The problems with downloading or streaming content is that what is used to playback or stream the content can have differences in playback and we loose our standards, and this is one of the important points to having the Blu-Ray is that is fairly consistent when done correctly. Downloads and streaming content are also prone to corruption, and feature DRM at times that interfere with playback. There is room for improvement on the format yet still but most must realize that to advance in technology we have to agree on what needs to be done, and this is where it gets difficult. It may be a long time before we are even to fully realize the full potential of the format, but already we begin to see independent companies developing newer technologies that do not target what will appeal to the home enthusiast. What we may see if we do get something with more quality instead is an overly sharpened image not capable of being fully resolved on only a select few of displays. That few select of individuals would then be responsible for maintaining the format and keeping it profitable. The technology is there for Blu-Ray, and there is potential for a larger audience.

·
Registered
214 Posts
More often than not, I am seeing sales for BDs below $20, and many are reaching $15 on sale. Players are coming down, and I would expect we will see $100 players next year. This, coupled with all new releases coming out on BD as well as DVD, shows complete studio support. I think it is a safe bet it will be here for some time.

·
Premium Member
3,374 Posts
Actually I was just at Walmart and they have a magnavox bd player for 98 bucks. It is a version 1.1 player but if you need an extra player or don't care about extra's it's a good deal.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Actually I was just at Walmart and they have a magnavox bd player for 98 bucks. It is a version 1.1 player but if you need an extra player or don't care about extra's it's a good deal.
That is actually great news. I heard the problem with some of these cheap players, is they are difficult to get firmware upgrades for. I am not sure I would buy one, but I think it is a huge step forward to mass adoption.

1 - 20 of 63 Posts