Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Gang, Been Awhile:
1- began recently began using REW again and after about 6 measurements, a generated signal did not lead to any sound output from the system. After closing REW it would work for a while, again, then go silent. Previously, I could run as many tests as I wanted. However, now closing REW doesn't help, and neither does restarting or shutting down the computer.

2- Prior to getting the full time silence noted above, I tried to update my version several times without success. The green install wizard bar gets about 2mm from the end and freezes. Restarting, shutting down of no help.

I am not sure I need the update as what I traditionally and simply do has not been a problem with my version, until now. I have never before had update problems with REW but they were done on Windows 7.

I have an Hp minitower with Windows 10.

Any thoughts are much appreciated. mike

·
Premium Member
6,711 Posts
Hi Mike, what REW version have you been running? Java drivers or ASIO? Onboard audio or an external soundcard of some sort? Win10 handles audio quite differently to Win7, generally best installing the latest REW version. How long did you wait to see if the installer would finish?

·
Premium Member
6,711 Posts
May also want to try the latest beta version, which was made with a new version of the installer package with a variety of bug fixes.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
John,

Thx for helping!

I am running v5.17 Beta 8 via Java (which I keep updated); no ASIO. I've left the downloaded installer to process until it's either timed out or disappeared. In my computer, the sound card is built into the motherboard, which is what I use.

I tried to update with the newest version, which I did successfully twice before, but maybe I should uninstall the old one first and try again. I am suspicious that my failed attempts at downloading affected my current version, which is now useless. It generates a signal that does not get to the speakers. My UMIK mike feels like it's being ignored, not unlike my cats that come down here when I am working. :))

Incidentally, your responses have not registered on the board.

thx again and regards, mike

·
Premium Member
6,711 Posts
From your description the installer proper doesn't even start, and it shouldn't have any effect on the system unless it completes, so I don't think that is the issue. Worth making sure that your soundcard is configured to run at the same sample rate as you are using in REW (or vice versa), you can check the soundcard's settings by right clicking on the volume control icon, selecting replay devices or recording devices, clicking on the soundcard device you are using in the list and selecting Properties. The default format is on the Advanced tab.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
J

OK, the Realtek sound card is running at 16 bit, 44k. Is that what I should be running or is a higher value better?

However, I jumped the gun and uninstalled my old REW version a few minutes ago. I will try to install the new one, soon.

thanks.......mike

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
John,

Some success: I just installed the new version, without a hitch. However, I still do not have sound when attempting to Measure. Check Levels prompts a solid rise in the Out bar. The mic is functional and recognizing ambient room noise.

I checked the Preferences and made sure it was the same as the sound card, 44.1k.

What now?

·
Premium Member
6,711 Posts
Check that the output device and output selected in REW correspond to the output you are connected to and that the PC's volume control isn't set to zero/muted, then start checking cables and connectors.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts