Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I tried to use 3m 90 spray tack on r13 insulation and the inside of a sonotube with the plastic peeled off and it would not stick well because the insulation sucked up all then glue.

I threw away the insulation becaus eI figured it was not needed then got advice that I REALLY should use something. Now I have the ports and some bracing in place so I can only parcially cover the sides if needed.

I need to know:

1. in a 6' x 25" sono do I need stuffing for standing waves and decay time?
2. Would a rubber coating do the same job of reducing resonance?
3. Is there any other adhesive or stuffing I can get locally at lowes or home depot or michaels (craft chain)?

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes I did, sorry if I didn't make it clear ha...

The insulation just turned kind of crispy but not sticky and absorbed it all. I would even prefer to get something else now that I threw all my pealed and cut insulation away and would prefer not to go through that process again

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I REALLY cant reach the top of the tube, just not an option.... would doing the sides be worth the effort?

The rubber coating is something I read on a DIY page, it made sense, he put a rubber coating on and it reduced the echoeing of the tube like when you hit it, it did not resonate

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
Just a thought, What about carpet underlay? It would be easy to glue and defiantly has some sound absorbing properties.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sweet idea... what do you use to stick it? Gotta get out to the store before I get yelled at for killign the whole day on here ha

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
I used Black carpet underlay on the top half of my theater room walls and used contact cement however for your case spray glue should work fine.

·
Premium Member
15,054 Posts
Sure, that should hold it in place.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts