Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've got a couple of soundcards:

Focusrite Saffire Pro 10 i/o (firewire)
Tascam US-2000 (usb 2.0)
Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 (usb 2.0)
EMU 1212 (PCIe)

I'm setting up a mobile recording unit with a friend of mine to try and record local bands. I've got a pc running Windows 7 x64 with maxed 32gb ram and core i7... I was wondering if there's any way to run all the soundcards simultaneous (or at least the Saffire and the US-2000) so I can record all the inputs at the same time...

I know a Mac can aggregate multiple cards, but is there something sortlike in Windows? :huh:

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you AudiocRaver, now that's some good instructions! :)

I'm gonna try it out and let you know if it worked out!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
YAY, It's working :) Thank you so much, now it's time to try and make a living with it :)

real easy if you ask me:

Set Asio4all as the audiodevice in your DAW, a trayicon pops up where you (in advanced mode) can activate all the soundcards you want to use. Then in you DAW make sure all inputs/outputs are assigned to their destination and go with the flow :)

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Did test it live yet. Had some glitches along the stress-testingroad, but it was all Microsoft's fault for releasing too much useless stuff in their OS.... completely stripped down the OS, it's running like a dream again :)

Recordings are on it's way (5th of october first live-gig recordings for a good friend of mine, fingers crossed!)

I'll keep you guys posted!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Well, the main thing is to use as less programs as possible, really stick with your DAW, it should be the only program that is in use after all....

- Things like chipsetmonitoring or powermanagement aren't really necessary for a pc to operate. So I deleted those, a high preforming processor should do just fine on it's own, shouldn't it?

- Keep your registery as clean as possible (by using freeware like RegCleaner).

- TURN OFF WINDOWS AERO! It'll look like you turn back to looks of your OS to the early 90's, but it saves a lot on your processor and RAM!

I've looked up a lot on the Tweakers website, there are just a few simple steps that can save you a lot of power for your DAW that involve turning off windows-functions that involve printers, scanners, autorun-features and so on.... The windows service-manager gives detailed information on why this program is inplemented in your OS.

My PC contains a virusscanner and a DAW with certain VST's.... NO INTERNET, i'll use my laptop for that...

Just keep in mind: Windows needs certain services to keep itself running, but there are a lot of features which you don't use when creating a recordings-based computer. Always start your stripping-session with making a backup of your system, so you can always go back when something fails or won't work out...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts