Home Theater Forum and Systems banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello guys, this is my first post here at ht shack after a while of reading of many days. I am one of those who is in search for the holy grail to hi-fi audio but with not much luck so far :). Been using a RX-V661 for a while with not so good results in audio reproduction. Have been able to get an average movie sound quality too. I am sure that this is not what I expected compared to what I heard during audition. My current gear is as follows.

Panasonic Plasma 42"
Sony DVD player connected to Pana via component cables
DVD optical audio connected to RX-V661
Definitive technology ProCinema 800 montors for L,R,SL,SR,C and Jamo 150W Sub.

After all the readings I understand that the acoustics and system settings to some extend are the culprits. For the time being I have reset all the processing and set the speakers to small and crossed at 120Hz. Read a lot about REW and wanted to do a room measurement first. Here is the list of things that I have thought of buying.

1. Galaxy CM-140 ( SPL meter )
2. A USB based sound card - Creative soundblaster 24 live
3. Required cables Y connectors etc for wiring the above
4. 3.5 mm Stereo Plug To Dual RCA Jack Adapter to connect the mono out of Galaxy to sound card left and right channel inputs - 2 nos

But now the real problem is it looks like RX-661 doesnt allow to manually adjust the parametric equalisers ? Am I missing something here ? Please help me with this. If this is not a feature that is available then what are my next options ? BFD or is there any other reasonably priced full range parametric equalizers ?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Opening the thread again after a long time, guys I need help. Can someone confirm whether my next steps are in the right direction ?

I am planning to buy ECM8000+XENYX 802 and the needed adaptors along with a BFD so that the low end can be equalized for a house curve. Now my question is if I go for the above setup will I still need to buy CM-140 so that I can set up SPLs manually if needed at some point ?

Also I heard the same at whirlpool forums,

I've listened to YPAO (and Pioneer's MCACC) and while they do 'work', I would rate them (along with Audyssey's basic calibration, 2EQ) as mediocre. They are all capable of knocking out the worst kinks in bad speakers, but none of them do much for low frequencies or subwoofer integration.
This is one of the key factors that tells me that inbuilt YPAO cannot tame the low end and works mostly on mid range and up. Is this rt ? Thanks for all your suggestions.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Giselle, Thanks for your response. To explore a bit further on the DVD player part, what was your experience when you upgraded your DVD ? Was it better picture quality, a cleaner noise and better full range signal output ? Also are there any specific models you suggest. Thanks.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
No worries, it was informative though. Food for thought. Measurements + Room treatments or go for a good cd player marantz or something!

Definitely I am getting a SPL meter to calibrate all levels right and the bass localization issue is there. So cross over will move to 80Hz as advised. May be I need to run YPAO once again ? Does YPAO do a complete spectrum equalization ? Is there a way to just manage the bass frequencies through a RX-661 yamaha ?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts