Home Theater Forum and Systems banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,112 Posts
Hello,
A 120hz Crossover is awfully high for the Subwoofer. Most do not preform that well when handling Frequencies that high. In addition, the Subwoofer becomes noticeable whereas at 80hz it should not be localized. If the Level is too high on the Sub compared to the other Speakers, that will often not be the case. However, the reason THX uses 80hz as the Recommended Crossover Point is that it is the highest point they found before the Subwoofer became localized.

As for YPAO, I think it works pretty well, but believe Audyssey MultEQ to provide better results in my experience. That being said, I do think Yamaha makes excellent AVR's and am a huge fan of the Aventage Line that was recently introduced.
Cheers,
JJ

·
Premium Member
8,112 Posts
Hello,
Wrong Thread. Sorry about that as there were 2 Yamaha related Threads I was Posting on. Yamaha makes such reliable AVR's. In this age of Outsourcing, this is a most rare trait.
Cheers,
JJ

·
Premium Member
8,112 Posts
Hello,
I find using an SPL Meter to be compulsory. When I got my Onkyo TX-NR3008, it offers Audyssey MultEQ XT32. Amazingly, XT32 Calibrated the front 3 Channels dead on at 75db's. but the Surrounds were so low that they would not even read in the Measurement Band. It just said Low.

With MultEQ XT, All Channels were well below 75db's and I would imagine that if just relying on MultEQ XT that the experience would be somewhat underwhelming. After Calibrating to 75db's, Audyssey sounds amazing. I do set the Subwoofer to around 78-80db's as the Subwoofer is kinda hard to accurately Measure and in my experience it seems to stem from all of the reflected sounds so 80db's has always worked better for me. Before Audyssey, I did set All Channels to 75db's.
Cheers.
JJ

1 - 3 of 3 Posts