Home Theater Forum and Systems banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
hdr77 said:
Opening the thread again after a long time, guys I need help. Can someone confirm whether my next steps are in the right direction ?

I am planning to buy ECM8000+XENYX 802 and the needed adaptors along with a BFD so that the low end can be equalized for a house curve. Now my question is if I go for the above setup will I still need to buy CM-140 so that I can set up SPLs manually if needed at some point ?

Also I heard the same at whirlpool forums,

This is one of the key factors that tells me that inbuilt YPAO cannot tame the low end and works mostly on mid range and up. Is this rt ? Thanks for all your suggestions.
I agree. YPAO is mediocre, and I use it just to begin with programming (I have a RX765). Use your ears instead! Move your speakers to get the best of them, check for reflections...
However, I think that you shuld point to another direction: get another DVD player! This makes a huge difference! Try Oppo or Cambridge!
Giselle

Sent from my iPad using HTShack

·
Registered
42 Posts
hdr77 said:
Giselle, Thanks for your response. To explore a bit further on the DVD player part, what was your experience when you upgraded your DVD ? Was it better picture quality, a cleaner noise and better full range signal output ? Also are there any specific models you suggest. Thanks.
I am more an audiophille than a videophille. So, I purchased a Sony DVD with the hope to benefit from the DACs of such technology... I was surprised when I heard my prefered CDs on my good old Technics CD player and on the Sony. No benefits whatsoever. I was very dissapointed. Then I came accross to an OPPO 83 and Eureka! Sound is wonderful (it could read different formats of audio, which is a great advantage) and video is also wonderful, as it can read DVD and Blue Ray. That model (OPPO 83) was on the best if not the best BR player of 2009 or 2010. It is discontinued to a newer 93 or even better 95. It all depends on your wallet. The OPPO83 was in the range of 600. I think the new 95 is in the range of 1,000.

And that is why I suggested the Cambridge Azur Universall BR player, the new one (which will be reviewed shortly along with the OPPO95). Both are terrific players.

Bottomline: OPPO is a great alternative. Cambridge manufactured the 840C CD player, which is the best CD player .... Can you imagine what they can do for Blue Ray?

Giselle

·
Registered
42 Posts
Jungle Jack said:
Hello,
A 120hz Crossover is awfully high for the Subwoofer. Most do not preform that well when handling Frequencies that high. In addition, the Subwoofer becomes noticeable whereas at 80hz it should not be localized. If the Level is too high on the Sub compared to the other Speakers, that will often not be the case. However, the reason THX uses 80hz as the Recommended Crossover Point is that it is the highest point they found before the Subwoofer became localized.

As for YPAO, I think it works pretty well, but believe Audyssey MultEQ to provide better results in my experience. That being said, I do think Yamaha makes excellent AVR's and am a huge fan of the Aventage Line that was recently introduced.
Cheers,
JJ
I do agree! The Aventage line seems really cool! I like my RX-765....

1 - 3 of 3 Posts