Home Theater Forum and Systems banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is the best setting for 7.1. Right now I have it on Movie Theater Standard. Should I put it on Pure Direct? I use ps3 for blu ray linear pcm

·
Registered
4,049 Posts
Not sure about that Yamaha. Most avr's disable the video circuits in pure direct, and in regular direct mode, the auto EQ is bypassed. I also use pcm from a PS3. My Onkyo says "multichannel" when playing 7.1HD-MA track. I us PLIIX for 5.1 tracks. I would look for "multichannel" in the sound modes. Yamaha does it a little different,so I might be a little off. My older spare Yamaha is only 5.1 so the manual probably won't help but I'll look yours up.

·
Registered
4,049 Posts
I guess I'd choose "standard " or "straight " decode. The manual isn't that clear, so I'd start there. Fwiw I feel like yamahas cinema DSP's are not very good.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank so much for the quick response. It may bypass all those settings to play 7.1 . I will have too look at the receiver next time. When the blu ray is in 5.1 is it playing both speakers at the same time ? So left back and left surround for example.

·
Registered
4,049 Posts
I think if the source is 5.1 you'll want to use pro logic IIx. That will enable all speakers. (The back two won't be discrete unless the source is 7.1 though) I think for 7.1 you'll want movie standard like you were or try straight. I know we got some Yamaha guys in here. They'll know for sure but that's where I'd start for now.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts