1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
960 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
6 Posts
A pair of these would kill in a sealed 4-5ft^3 box, or even a single driver ported. If anyone needs some simulations let me know.
Do you think his recommendation of a 2 cubic foot sealed box or 4 cubic foot vented box are ideal? I tried modeling both and they seemed kind of small. It looks to me like 3-4 cubic feet would be better sealed and about 6 feet vented would be better. Am I mistaken? I might try one of these in a sealed enclosure, but want to make sure I could get a good box to work before I do. Any ideas?

·
Premium Member
960 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Would those be something we might post in the new ebay Deals forum?
Yes. Totally missed that memo, my mistake.

Happy, I actually have this in a 2ft^3 box (with servo) and it performs extremely well given the laws of physics. My simulation says a Qtc of around .748 with walls covered in 2ft^3 with this driver. That, IMO, is not a bad sounding Qtc. My Rss390 is a bit closer to .8 and sounds excellent. You do have added protection against over excursion with a Q around .748 compared to lower Qtcs, something to remember.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Yes. Totally missed that memo, my mistake.

Happy, I actually have this in a 2ft^3 box (with servo) and it performs extremely well given the laws of physics. My simulation says a Qtc of around .748 with walls covered in 2ft^3 with this driver. That, IMO, is not a bad sounding Qtc. My Rss390 is a bit closer to .8 and sounds excellent. You do have added protection against over excursion with a Q around .748 compared to lower Qtcs, something to remember.
I actually really wanted to use the RSS390HF but I only have ~ 4 cubic feet which gives a QTC of .76 which I thought would be too high. However since you've heard both would you be willing to comment on the two? Thanks.

·
Premium Member
960 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I actually really wanted to use the RSS390HF but I only have ~ 4 cubic feet which gives a QTC of .76 which I thought would be too high. However since you've heard both would you be willing to comment on the two? Thanks.
Well at the moment I use an Avalanche 15 in my 4ft^3 box. The RSS390 was very musical in this box. Of course, the more damping added the tighter the sound. I would only suggest the rss390 if your main focus is low THD, while it did get loud in my bedroom it does not compare the the Ava 15 in output. Two Ds12's would give more output and probably have potential to hit a lower Qtc with heavy stuffing in a 4ft^3 box (going off the top of my head here).

The Rss390 is very clean sounding, and is probably my favorite music-only sub. The Rythmik goes a bit deeper in this room, and is probably a better mix between HT capability and musical performance. This is of the servo based kit, so my opinion on the Rythmik is based on a different setup than what you would have, assuming you go with the drivers on ebay.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts