Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A while back, I started a thread inquiring about the JBL LSR4312SP subwoofer. Although you guys twisted my arm to go with something with a lower frequency spectrum, I remained stand-offish. Besides not believing I needed the extra low frequency extension, I had other reasons, which I kept to myself - mostly, it came down to a bit of laziness, I suppose.

The fact that a [JBL] subwoofer had all the connections I'd need, right out of the box for a pro system, and better still, an automatic system which adjusts the subwoofer settings to the room, using a built-in, self-tuning software, was too much for me to resist. With these two offers alone, I was imagining myself (ok, dreaming of) plopping the unit down, flipping on the switch, and just using it! :heehee:

Up until now, I have not had enough free $ to make the purchase - a good thing, I'm sure. After thinking things over, and looking at the specs of some of the competing subwoofers available, I have had to drop my presuppositions about what I thought I wanted. I have become more skeptical of the JBL system, since after all this time, I still cannot find but one honest review about it (by an unhappy customer), and even that review seems unhelpful.

I have been musing over the threads & test results you guys have posted, and have found myself keenly interested in the Rythmik subwoofers. (So I am ironically looking at one of the most low-ended designs available.) I was actually quite impressed by the SVS PB13, tuned at 10 Hz, but the size will greatly limit my placement possibilities. I believe I may be set on the sealed Rythmik model. Honestly, I mix with the signal around 70 dB or so, since I expose myself for hours at a time - so I am not interested in high output for this project.

I want to first of all, thank you guys (especially Ilkka and your friends in Finland) for all the work posting a library of very useful and helpful information. I do wish I could find a third party who has tested a completed, sealed Rythmik sub, so I can set my mind at ease, knowing it is truly the best choice for me at this point in time. Does anyone know of any such tests?

Thanks.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Wow. That's a lot of data. The company definitely has an impressive sub. Do you happen to know if there is a similar set of graphs for one of the sealed versions? Thanks.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Ahh, yes, I do remember seeing that test. The DIY box, however, may not perform exactly like the company's boxes. The only thing I'm seeing in those tests that I don't like is the compression distortion at the low end that begins to show up around 93 dB. I'd kind of like to see the levels a bit higher before seeing these distortion problems; on the other hand, most of these problems may not be audibly noticeable until > 95 dB.(?) Anyway, I suppose the 15" version would help in that arena. If, in fact, the 15" model will produce 100 dB without noticeable distortion, I think I'd be quite happy. Anyone have a vote on this?

Everything else about this sub appears impeccable (on paper, anyway).

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yes, I suspect that's about where I'm headed. .... if I can make the larger size fit ... (which will probably necessitate I leave out the ported model)

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yes, well, I'm trying to get away w/ as small a unit as possible because I really don't know where it's going to end up. I kinda want to stuff it behind my console. It's semi-open underneath but it might do weird things back there. Worst case, it'll have to sit under the baby grand, behind me - it's one of the only open spots I have available. If I wasn't concerned about power, I would go w/ the 12" version. But it's a decent sized room, and I may need some headroom every now and then.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
In the control room, it's nice to have a flat response throughout. However, it's certainly not required! The mix position is a fairly tight spot that is really the only place that has to be normalized at all freqs. The room's not for entertainment. On the other hand, down the road, I will keep open the option to upgrade to duals, or whatever - that's for sure. But at the moment, I have NO sub. So this is going to be a real treat for me!

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Just measured the space behind the console. Although it's rather open back there, and the back wall is covered in about 6"'of absorbant material, the limiting factor is the bottom of the desk, which is 15-1/2" off the ground. If I ever get around to making adjustments to that console, it will be to further LOWER it; it's a couple inches too high for my comfort zone.

The F12 is even too tall for the space, especially if I buy an isolation platform for the subwoofer. It appears that The ONLY place available in the room is under the piano, with an underside measuring 25-1/4" high. As long as the isolation platform isn't over 6" thick, I should be okay.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I've revisited the Rythmik site and another sub caught my eye that I had not considered - the D15SE. This is their downfiring sub, apparently another sealed unit with a similar frequency profile and same speaker / amplifier combo as their F15. I've been wondering, since it seems I'm going to be stuck with only one subwoofer, if there is any advantage of the downfiring sub over the side excursion model? Placement will be somewhat out in the room, a few feet from one side wall, under a piano & out in the open. It would almost seem that the projection of the downfiring model would be better distributed in all directions. Does anyone have an opinion on this matter?

The designers recommend a concrete floor. The studio is a suspended concrete slab, covered with wood.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
No takers on this one, eh? I've poked around in some other forums and noticed there's no firm concensus on the matter, other than a lot of people seem to "like" the front firing models better. I'm supposing such must be the safer bet. (Besides, I've no plans to put carpet under the sub, which is apparently recommended for the d.f. design.)

·
Registered
3,697 Posts
Carpet doesn't really affect low frequencies enough to be a factor.

·
Registered
3,697 Posts
It may not absorb low frequencies, but it does help with physical decoupling for those with vibrating cabs.
Agreed, down firing cabs do have a tendency to walk across the floor.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts