DS1510 15" high excursion with custom sensing coil

Driver materials
Black anodized aluminum with rubber surround
Cast aluminum basket
Copper flux modulation shorting rings

Amplifier
600 RMS class H patented servo controlled

Dimensions
19"(W) x 19 " (H )x 20 "(D) - (21-1/2" D with grille)

Shipping Weight
108 lbs

Frequency Response
14 - 200 Hz (-2 dB @ 14 Hz) with LFE inputs
14 - 90 Hz (-2 dB @ 14 Hz) with LINE IN inputs

Crossover slope
Selectable 12 or 24 dB / octave (PEQ and XLR versions)

Crossover range (Low pass)
25 - 100 Hz

Rumble Filter (High pass )
20 Hz 18 dB / octave

Phase response
90 degrees phase shift at 20 Hz

Phase adjustment
0 - 180 degrees continuously variable

Bass damping factor settings
high (Q=0.5), med (Q=0.7), and low (Q=1.1)

Finishes
Available in honey oak vinyl or black oak vinyl

Warranty
5 years warranty on driver and 2 years on electronics
30 day satisfaction guarantee

Manufacturers Published Measurements

Frequency Response

Max Output Before Compression

Spectral Decay

Group Delay

Waterfall

Spectrogram

Harmonic Distortion

32 Hz

40 Hz

50 Hz

63 Hz

70 Hz

80 Hz

See less See more
#4 ·
Has there been any reviews of the FV12? I am looking for a MUSICAL sub that would be at home in a Condo with 5 KEF LS-50 speakers. I am concerned over too much bottom disturbing the adjoining condo units so I would prefer the LF not to go down as low as the FV15.

#7 · (Edited)
The above graphs are open plane testing; ideal conditions. What I want to know, how well will a pair of them perform in a room our size?

...:confused:

...11Hz.

...:p

(i love our FV15HPs)

...:bigsmile:

If one buy's a pair of FV15HPs and gets them "properly" dialed in (based on REW measurements) you won't have regrets.

(dial in a pair of FV15HPs......and you'll understand what the word "spoiled" means)

#8 · (Edited)
*To Chucka:
Use a high pass? IF you're worried about too much extension there's your answer... From experience you want a subwoofer capable of playing much louder/lower than you need such that listening at normal -> loud volume is just as effortless, i.e. low distortion. People that complain about too much bottom end usually could use more bass traps/eq, it may not apply to you but I'd look down that road if you haven't already.

#9 ·
People that complain about too much bottom end usually could use more bass traps/eq,
Complaining about too much bottom end?

I've read of folks complaining about not enough bottom end, but never of there being too much bottom end. What am I not understanding?

Have these folks who are complaining, used room measuring software to measure and graph the acoustics of their room? Are these same said people using "quality" room correction software to correct for the acoustics in their room?

Are these same folks trying to make magic with a single subwoofer based subwoofer system?

#13 ·
I hear you Bee, I was pondering dual rythmik FV15HP's for my sub upgrade but I decided on dual DIY FTW-21's.
Very happy with the pair of FV15HPs and you went DIY FTW-21s?

...:eek:

34mm Xmax

...:eek:

Now thass a lotta air being moved. We have 3300^3 open to kitchen and other areas and can feel the breeze coming across the floor.

What's it like when you're cranking your system?

#14 ·
Oh I just ordered them early this week. Won't be in til next week at the earliest. My space is huge hence the reason I went with 2 FTW-21's. I'm at near 7500cu ft for the great room area which is family room and kitchen and completely open. I'll let you know how it all sounds in a few weeks when it's all complete.

#15 ·
Oh I just ordered them early this week.
That's some exciting stuff. Hope the box assembly goes without troubles. I'd have to go to a cabinet shop to get the box assembled. Are you going with a 4^3 or 6^3 box?

Thass a big room to have to light up. At 7500^3, are two FTW-21s going be enough? I'd guess you'd need three, maybe even four to fill a room the way folks like us want.

#19 · (Edited)
Cabinet size would be a little too big. Haha! I think dual 21's will be enough for me. I could place my most recent build, dual 10", near field to have a little extra mid bass if I need it but I doubt that will be necessary. If you look at at data-bass.com you'll see the UXL-18 and the FTW is basically the same motor and voice coil assembly. Just the cone is different. I'll have them in a bigger box then they tested the UXL in so look to upwards of 4-6db difference as that's what I got with WinISD. Having duals adds another 6db to the output I believe from what I've read regarding subs. So output would be as follows.....

10hz- 104.2db
12.5- 108.2
16- 114.1db
20- 120db
25- 125.1db
30+- 130db +

Of course these are 2m ground plane measurements outdoors. Just imagine what it'll be in room! These numbers also follow closely to what I modeled in WinISD. Pretty close to a Gjallarhorn's output in the 25hz and below area and putting out more in the 30hz and above.

#22 ·
I'm not sure what the output at 10hz will be. I would assume though that I would need 4 to hit reference at 10hz. It's really hard to say. I'm not to worried myself about the ULF output as much as I am hitting reference in my room at say 18-20hz. I don't think I'll have a problem with that.

#23 · (Edited)
My reason for worrying about hitting reference in the lower octaves is, when the movie sound tracks are measured, there's a surprising amount of ULF in the recording that's not being reproduced. If one can't hear the difference they sure can feel it as the whole room starts to breath when the pulse wave goes through the room. Yeah baby! :D

Money limited us to about 11Hz and if I had the budget, which we clearly do not, I would be pushing for a pair of Triax subs or JTR Captivator S2s, either of which will easily break the <10Hz barrier. So much money for so little. In the honest end, working with you and your comments, I guess a lot of my desire is ego based, just to say I can go there. Our system will easily do reference at 16Hz and what we have is far better than what one will experience in a theater.

Greed is a terrible sin to waste.

...:p

Good luck with your DIY project and I'll keep my fingers crossed that when finished, you'll get what you want in that big room of yours.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.