Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so my original plan was to build two sealed Rythimk 1505’s($1,200) or 1510hp’s(1,460).
The significant other seems to think that is to much. :crying: So now I’m just thinking maybe one 1510hp (730)
My room is about 3,900 cu.ft. Barrel vaulted. Music/Movies is probably 60/40 and I don’t listen at earth shattering db levels. My strong points are carpentry so building the boxes is a must, but I’m not well versed in subwoofer EQ or REW.
I originally wanted to go with Rythmik for the sound quality and ease of all included diy kits from Bryan.

Now my big question is would I be better off buying two Dayton RSS390HO’s and something like a Behringer NU3000DSP iNUKE for roughly the same price as one Rythmik 1510?
Any input or ideas to help me make a decision would be great.
I also wouldn’t know what size boxes to build for the Dayton’s if I went that direction. With the Rythmiks I had figured about 3.5 cu.ft.

Ideas? :bigsmile:

·
Registered
77 Posts
The Dayton drivers are nice and very musical/accurate for the money. However I recently replaced my 390HO for a TC Sounds LMS-R 15". I wanted more 'feel' to movies - the excursion difference is 12mm on the Dayton vs 30mm on the LMS-R - so that swap was to move more air and keep musicality. I'm still dialing in the new driver, should have some better feedback soon.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The LMS drivers obviously look great on and off paper but not sure about the higher price if going with duals.
If only I had more money... :scratch:

·
Registered
147 Posts
So your question comes down to: is it better to build one 15" servo sub, or two 15" regular subs.
And that covers a whole lot of complicated.
So, let's start with this question: can you hear the difference between the servo subs you've heard and the non-servo subs you've heard? Because if there's a huge difference in your experience, then that will be your answer. If not, then given your budget, would you rather have 2 subs, or 1? 2 offers all sorts of advantages, but WAF isn't usually one of them. A pair of well designed Dayton 15s would serve your system proud, and provide a more visceral experience than 1 15 could, but not if what you hear is mud to your ears (go back to question 1). This all comes back to your personal preference- which sound within your budget do you prefer?

Tom

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So your question comes down to: is it better to build one 15" servo sub, or two 15" regular subs. Tom
That is my dilemma. I will say I have never heard a Rythmik servo sub but from all the reading I have done they do seem intriguing.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yellow is a Rythmik in 3 cu. ft. Green is a pair of 390HO's in 4 cu.ft. Building two cabinets each 2 cu.ft. for the 390HO's would allow you placement options for evening out the in room response.
Thanks Mike.:T Would the Daytons do better in a bigger box like the one I drew up for the rythmik?
I drew it at 17Wx19Hx24.25D which comes out at 3.45cu.ft. before bracing and driver. I was trying to make the smallest "Front" I could and still have a taller than wider look.
I would like to have duals just for the room response.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
I have downloaded winisd and am trying to learn the program. So far I have added the 390HO and 390HF.
Looks like the HF might be better in 3.5cu.ft.?

·
Registered
147 Posts
The HF does better in a larger cab than the HO; you've got it right. The HO handles higher power- PE was honest in their descriptors about the HF and HO; the HF for better articulation for music (thinner, lighter cone), the HO for home theater and movie sound-track abuse (thicker aluminum). Again, design for your real use and taste. I personally went for the HF, since the number of times I'll crank up a movie, and test the limits of the system, is nil. But as the wiser guy said: your mileage may vary.
I agree that the write-ups on the Rythmics are intriguing, and I've never heard one either. I'd like to, so build one, won't you, and invite me over!

Tom

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Maybe I should rethink this(due to my lack of subwoofer knowledge) by asking a different kind of question.

Lets say I want...

2 sealed boxes
15" drivers
No bigger than 3.5cu.ft. each
Somewhere around $800 for amp/drivers/eq, not the box.
60/40 music/movies
Room 3,900cu.ft. listening at moderate levels

What would you Subwoofer Guru's do?:help:

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ok so after cutting out some cardboard boxes at 3.5 cuft the wife says no way...:sweat:

I have been looking around and found the FI Q15 and the website says 2-2.5 cu.ft. which sounds strange?? am I reading that right? I put it into winisd with a tc sounds 15" and came up with this at 1500 watts, 70liters.
Does this look right?

106db at 20 hz is not to shaby for a small sealed box right?

·
Registered
147 Posts
It looks about right; but note the much lower Q on the TC system. These 2 will definitely sound different (not better or worse), and will appeal to different tastes.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
It looks about right; but note the much lower Q on the TC system. These 2 will definitely sound different (not better or worse), and will appeal to different tastes.
When I get the Qtc closer to .707 I end up with 5.5 cu.ft. If that is a better Qtc why would FI recommend 2-2.5 cu.ft.?

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Due to the fact that this thread has changed couse I am going to stop posting in this one and start a new one in the sealed section. :dumbcrazy:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts