Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
472 Posts
While I have not modded one of those particular plate amps I don't think changing the caps to Black Gates will buy you much in the way of improvements.However substantial increasing the value of the main filter caps may be benificial.Increasing them will mean their is greater energy storage, therefore less voltage sag (thus more power available) when the amp is called upon to reproduce heavy bass transients.

·
Registered
237 Posts
For a subwoofer amp I think it would be pretty pointless to simply swap to another type of cap. I do agree that a larger value filter caps could be beneficial though.

·
Registered
237 Posts
I personally wouldn't be comfortable making a recommendation. If I were you I'd ask Brian Ding himself. I've used that amp with several subwoofers in the past with the built-in LT circuit but really am not that familiar with it. I'd trust any recommendation he'd give you.

·
Registered
472 Posts
How much larger of a value would you go with then on the Rythmik plate amp?
I would try and double the stock value.Keep in mind that the caps would be physically larger so be sure they will fit in the alotted space on the circuit board before purchasing.(Companies like Digi Key usually list the dimensions of thecaps they sell).Also the voltage of the replacement capacitors should be the same or higher or else:eek::scared:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts