Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi.

I'm having problems at nearly the first hurdle using the REW v5.01 beta 7 2299

I am using an ASUS xonar 1.3 deluxe sc. This I have the L & R phono outputs connected to the Line in using an 3.5mm Stereo Jack to 2 Phono Interconnect. I have set the levels to match the -12dB fs. I then carry out the calibration file, after this has carried out it's measurement I get the warning 'The sound card measurement varies by 10dB between 20hz & 20khz, that is much higher than......'

Any idea what I am doing wrong here?

Will

·
Premium Member
1,400 Posts
Any idea what I am doing wrong here?
- You may have the "monitoring" button enabled on the line inputs ( within the Recording section of the Xonars Sound Mixer daughter window ) .

<> EarlK

·
Premium Member
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Earl.

I checked the monitoring, this was disabled. I have tried everything 'in the short time I have' over these last two evenings and I still get the same message. So I have just un-installed V5, and put V4.11 back on and this works, the resulting plot looks the same as before, but at least the message is not their anymore. :scratch:

·
Premium Member
1,400 Posts
How about posting a pic of the latest calibration ( done with V4.11 ) ?

I'd like to see what's being tallked about here .

<> EarlK

·
Premium Member
6,711 Posts
That is OK to use, but there is something slightly odd going on. Tt just rolls off a little earlier than is typical at the top end, being -3dB just over 18kHz, and the impulse response is not as clean as soundcards typically are. Nothing that stops you making measurements though.

·
Premium Member
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Oh right. Well I will give it one last check 'tomorrow now' to see if there is anything I can do to improve this, but if not at least I know now I can go a head and start running some sweeps.

Cheers.

Will

·
Premium Member
1,400 Posts
magicj1 said:
So I have just un-installed V5, and put V4.11 back on and this works, the resulting plot looks the same as before, but at least the message is not their anymore.

Will, is the above sweep an almost duplicate to what you received from REW V5.0 ? ( apart from the warning flash/message screen )

If so, I'd go back to using the newer version ( one can ignore that flash screen & still register any result as a calibration / it's simply up to you to decide if you want to use it ).

<. EarlK

·
Premium Member
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hi Earl.

I have just loaded V5 back on my PC, re run the mic cal, this time I did not get the error message..

Here is the result:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,400 Posts

Well , I guess that answers my question . Thanks !

( Again, I'd stick with V5 )

<> EarlK

ps ; Now,,,, about that Warning Screen / it begs the question ; if it makes someone run away from the software, then how helpful is it ?
- ( a rhetorical question , to which I don't have a firm answer )

·
Premium Member
6,711 Posts
ps ; Now,,,, about that Warning Screen / it begs the question ; if it makes someone run away from the software, then how helpful is it ?
I added that check after trouble shooting several instances where people thought their soundcard cal was OK but it was actually far from it, leading to erroneous measurements. The results which prompted the error in this case, while useable, were not normal for a soundcard - something was wrong, just not badly enough to nullify the result. Interesting that in the latest attempt it all passed OK. In general I think it is better to warn if something looks suspicious than ignore it and risk bad measurements being acted upon.

·
Premium Member
1,400 Posts
JohnM said:
I added that check after trouble shooting several instances where people thought their soundcard cal was OK but it was actually far from it, leading to erroneous measurements. The results which prompted the error in this case, while useable, were not normal for a soundcard - something was wrong, just not badly enough to nullify the result.,,,,snip,,,,,
Understood John .

It seems in this case that it got close enough to the line for me to consider it a "False Positive" . :R :whistling:

- My own experience with this warning screen had led me to believe that it was an almost air-tight indication of feedback within the loop-back ( I was wrong there also ) .

Such as this ;

- This loop-back kicked off the warning flag ( because the plus & minus was just over 10db ) .
- I can just as easily create another ( with a bit less feedback ) that doesn't engage the warning flag ( though the resulting file will be just as unusable as a calibration file ) .

- Any chance of adding another filter to the "warning process" that would tell the user they have a feedback loop ( loosely based on tracking the regularity of a typical feedback waveform ) ?

<> EarlK

1 - 13 of 13 Posts