Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in the process of my build and have enjoyed the process so far.

I built my house 4 years ago and have started and stopped my build a few times. Changed the lay out but have finally committed to what I have now.

Room is 16w 22d 9h with 10 foot trayed ceiling.

Im building this solo and hope to be done by summer 2013. I could be done alot sooner but still need to by the projector and seating.

Equipment:
Yamaha receiver (soon to buy emotiva UMC)
UPA-7 Amp
Cinema Ultra speaker
Bill Fitzmarice THTLP sub (building soon)
Oppo 103 ( need to buy)

Pics to follow soon.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
Front stage.
ForumRunner_20121219_054757.png
Im going to hang the blinds then the window will be covered with 3/4 in plywood then 2 inches of Linacoustic...its on the 2nd floor of the house.

Riser
riser.jpg
2x12 on the parimeter. 2x8 on the inside, I plan on using my riser as a bass trap which I need to know how many vents I need to put in and where.

Riser with insulation. Rear entry door stairs immediately to the right. Front stairs and rear stairs have lighting. I put 2 in conduit for Cat 5 or other cables and power on upper level and front for lower chairs. I used R30 so there is about 2 inch gap to the floor. Should I push it all the way down and have the gap at the top? leave it? or push it down and add r13 to make it full top to bottom?
insul.jpg

Stairs on front of Riser
stairs.jpg
Front stairs

Read more: S.E. Bama build (RTR) - Home Theater Forum and Systems - HomeTheaterShack.com

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
Nice, you are already well on your way. I like the curved front riser. The esthetic adds to your presentation. What speakers will you up there? Is that for mains, front high and subs?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I plan on using the Conance (it wont let me put the S instead of C for the name....any idea why) cinema ultras all the way around. Im sure ill upgrade someday.

·
Premium Member
7,209 Posts
Yay for another build thread - subscribed!

As far as the insulation in the riser, I would not compress it as I believe compressing it reduces it's ability to absorb properly. I would leave the gap at the bottom - just thinking you might hear a bit of echo as you walk on it otherwise.

Really like the curved front stage - wish I had the room to do that!

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have read about using the riser as a bass trap but cant find anywhere that says how many openings i need. What direction to orient the openings side wall or back wall. Is this more determined after doing an initial room REW.

·
Premium Member
7,209 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Made a mistake.....when I installed the outlet boxes for lights I mounted them on the riser frame not the step that I just built. I'm just glad I didn't liquid nail the decking down yet so I could pull long enough wire.

image-4125684064.jpg

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Questions help with fabric for covering acoustic panels on walls and ceiling. The only exposed hard surface will be on ceiling out side of the trayed area. I will only put the Linacoustic where it needs and then use cotton batting to fill out the panel but not provide any absortion.

We looked into GOM but wanted more design on the walls and we found this at JoAnn's. I found some very, very expensive fabric online that is AT but at $350+ a yard its only about 1000% out of our budget. I was able to get this expensive fabric criterion for what they consider makes it AT. Is anyone willing to test these out for me using their results criteria? I have read about the breath test on fabric to test it’s AT properties and I didn’t suffocate after holding it to my mouth for a couple of minutes.

The Blue with triangles on it will be our primary wall covering. The stripped will go somewhere just not sure and the floral is for the WAF and will be made into pillows. I refuse to let her put that on the walls but......married guys can understand.
fabric.jpg

Not exactly the color going to use a dark blue with gold design but shows what we plan on doing for the trayed ceiling. I am mainly doing this to cover the ceiling panels for first reflection. (and to hide a seem I can't get smooth in the sheet rock)
ceiling.jpg

·
Premium Member
7,209 Posts
Questions help with fabric for covering acoustic panels on walls and ceiling. The only exposed hard surface will be on ceiling out side of the trayed area. I will only put the Linacoustic where it needs and then use cotton batting to fill out the panel but not provide any absortion.

We looked into GOM but wanted more design on the walls and we found this at JoAnn's. I found some very, very expensive fabric online that is AT but at $350+ a yard its only about 1000% out of our budget. I was able to get this expensive fabric criterion for what they consider makes it AT. Is anyone willing to test these out for me using their results criteria? I have read about the breath test on fabric to test it’s AT properties and I didn’t suffocate after holding it to my mouth for a couple of minutes.

The Blue with triangles on it will be our primary wall covering. The stripped will go somewhere just not sure and the floral is for the WAF and will be made into pillows. I refuse to let her put that on the walls but......married guys can understand.
View attachment 39509

Not exactly the color going to use a dark blue with gold design but shows what we plan on doing for the trayed ceiling. I am mainly doing this to cover the ceiling panels for first reflection. (and to hide a seem I can't get smooth in the sheet rock)
View attachment 39510
Did you take a look at their website? Guilford has quite a few patterns - more than just the FR 701 that most people use (myself included) - that may work for you.

Otherwise, the only testing that I have read about is the breath test you mentioned. You may want to post in the Acoustics forum - Bryan might know more about those types of fabrics.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
What are people with 2nd story builds doing for the stage. Sand or insulation? I figure it would be 3500lbs of sand not sure if i like that idea especially since its 2/3 is over a 3 car garage.

·
Registered
327 Posts
I'm in the same boat. 2n story over garage. I am thinking of two small squares sand filled with the rest insulated. The 2 squares are the only plausible sub spots in the setup behind false wall.

·
Registered
327 Posts
I can only confirm you are thinking the same as me. I am not an expert so ask some others like Brian at GIK. but I would suggest adding the equivalent weight of a car on the second story in a small area is not likely going to be fun to explain to the adjuster after the tornado or hurricane.

RTR

1 - 20 of 30 Posts