Home Theater Forum and Systems banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am thinking about getting into SA-CD, with select favorite titles, such as Pink Floyd, Dire Straits and a few others. List will undoubtedly expand if I see a noticeable sonic improvement over cds. Now to my question, will an economical player like a Sony BDPS 6200 ($ 130 CDN) do the trick?:help:

·
Premium Member
5,799 Posts
Here are 2 that will play SACDs... Pioneer 563A or Sony SCD-CE595. In addition I believe all PS3s will play them. I have the old "Fatboy" PS3, and it plays them fine. If you get an old one you might be able to rip them to your HDD too. There are also some places that will rip them for you to a HDD, and then you can play them on your HDD or NAS.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The Sony BDPS- 3200, 3500 , 5100 , 5200, 6200 all list SA-CD in Audio Disc Formats Supported. Maybe similar to PS3 from Sony.

·
Banned
4,838 Posts
The Sony BDPS- 3200, 3500 , 5100 , 5200, 6200 all list SA-CD in Audio Disc Formats Supported. Maybe similar to PS3 from Sony.
Looking at the Sony BDP-S6200 manual, there is no mention of playing SACD (or SA-CD) disks. It mentions handling of DSD files (p. 29), I suspect from an external USB-connected hard drive, an entirely different matter.

Any player that handles SACD disks directly usually makes a pretty big deal about it. They are usually higher-end "universal" players. The PS3 seems to be an odd exception.

·
Premium Member
5,799 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,799 Posts
If you don't mind used...there are quite a few that will fit your budget on eBay right now. One is currently $2.50! The Denon 2910 is a good unit (I used to have one years ago and really liked it). I am only linking what I found that would possibly work for you... I am not in any way affiliated with any of the listed sales.

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
If your not interested in playing movies then the Sony CDP-CE500 would do the trick at a decent price.
Also many of the older Sony DVD players can do it as well, I have a Sony BDP S580 that can be bought used and it works great.

You can find em. Good Luck.

·
Premium Member
5,799 Posts
Looking at the Sony BDP-S6200 manual, there is no mention of playing SACD (or SA-CD) disks. It mentions handling of DSD files (p. 29), I suspect from an external USB-connected hard drive, an entirely different matter.

Any player that handles SACD disks directly usually makes a pretty big deal about it. They are usually higher-end "universal" players. The PS3 seems to be an odd exception.
I just found a link to another Forum where a user posted that it does play stereo, and multichannel SACDs even though it isn't listed...the user said that is why he bought it.

mtenga said: ↑
Does it do multichannel SACD? When I looked into this series a few months back I thought only the top model did. That was a differentiator between the top two. Don't remember now.

Yes, the options allow you to choose between stereo and multichannel SACD.

A little more info...
hi angeldust1
do this:
Video Settings:
Output Video Resolution 720p or higher ,before its only Stereo.
Audio Settings:
DSD on (if your AV encode DSD) otherwise PCM
Music Settings:
CD-layer/SACD-layer
DSD Stereo or multi

download the Firmware from sony and update the Player!
after that you get Music Options.
with the Firmware update it Plays DSD-discs, made with korg audiogate,in Stereo only.but there is another option: take any pcm/ flac/wave/diff/dsf/Stereo/Multi files and burn it as data-DVD.

·
Registered
578 Posts
OP, if you can't find an appropriately-priced BD player to address your needs, try snagging yourself a gently-used OPPO DV-980H. It's a solid upconverting DVD player and it plays both SACD and DVD-A discs. IMO (having owned two of them), a fair price for one is no more than $60.

FWIW, I have the BDP-6200. I'll try out an SACD (I have DSotM) when I get home tonight and post the results.

·
Banned
4,838 Posts
I just found a link to another Forum where a user posted that it does play stereo, and multichannel SACDs even though it isn't listed...the user said that is why he bought it.

mtenga said: ↑
Does it do multichannel SACD? When I looked into this series a few months back I thought only the top model did. That was a differentiator between the top two. Don't remember now.

Yes, the options allow you to choose between stereo and multichannel SACD.

A little more info...
hi angeldust1
do this:
Video Settings:
Output Video Resolution 720p or higher ,before its only Stereo.
Audio Settings:
DSD on (if your AV encode DSD) otherwise PCM
Music Settings:
CD-layer/SACD-layer
DSD Stereo or multi

download the Firmware from sony and update the Player!
after that you get Music Options.
with the Firmware update it Plays DSD-discs, made with korg audiogate,in Stereo only.but there is another option: take any pcm/ flac/wave/diff/dsf/Stereo/Multi files and burn it as data-DVD.
Hey, that is really cool info on the firmware upgrade. I might just do that myself.

·
Registered
4,014 Posts
Do you guys know if there's firmware upgrade for PS3? I have a 60gb unit, that supposedly can read sacd, but the logo is not on the side of the machine. Can't remember exactly how long I've had it. Thanks blainstuds, one more thing for me to chase after! Lol

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
Yep
If you have done your upgrades it will be fine, maybe even if you have not.
The early PS3 does play SACD but only via HDMI as the signal must remain coded until it hits the decoder chip in your receiver or processor. It plays them good.

·
Premium Member
5,799 Posts
Do you guys know if there's firmware upgrade for PS3? I have a 60gb unit, that supposedly can read sacd, but the logo is not on the side of the machine. Can't remember exactly how long I've had it. Thanks blainstuds, one more thing for me to chase after! Lol
There is a hacked firmware for the PS3 to allow you to rip the SACDs to your HDD, but you have to have Firmware version. Here is the info... https://newtoolbox.files.wordpress.com/2014/03/sacd-ripper-primer-v4-0.pdf

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks everyone. Looks like I may have started something. I got the info on the Sony Blu-ray players from the product description on the Canadian Best Buy website.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Jack I found the Sony CDP-CE500 on Amazon.ca and Amazon .com but I did not see where this unit plays SA-CD.

·
Registered
578 Posts
The Floyd SACD played just fine on the 6200. It appears that the Sony reads and streams m-c DSD audio to the AVR, which then decodes and plays it. I couldn't find a setting in the Sony's menu to allow it to decode the audio and stream LPCM to the AVR.

Here are some (poor-quality cellphone) pics.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,799 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,799 Posts
The Floyd SACD played just fine on the 6200. It appears that the Sony reads and streams m-c DSD audio to the AVR, which then decodes and plays it. I couldn't find a setting in the Sony's menu to allow it to decode the audio and stream LPCM to the AVR.

Here are some (poor-quality cellphone) pics.
How does it sound?

Did you follow the directions i posted for setting it up?

1 - 20 of 37 Posts